Vic Wins Uni Games Shield*

Victoria’s attempt to hold onto the University Games Shield was recently scuttled in Christchurch by home side Canterbury University.

The last time a traveling side won the Games was when University of Auckland won at Waikato in 2000.

During the four days of competition from April 10-13, thousands of athletes from universities around the country competed in 28 sports to become the proud owner of the Shield.

Team Vic Manager Brent Hayward says Vic’s athletes performed “extremely well”, with some unexpected results – both good and bad.

“I went there to win and am quietly gutted about coming third place, although it’s a pretty good effort considering the teams that were put in from Canterbury with their team of 600 and a team of 400 from Otago. We’re the best North Island team traveling and we weren’t too far off the pace from Otago.”

After some dispute over points-counting, where Otago University was said to have beat Vic to second place by a margin of two points, Vic placed third on 208 points, behind Canterbury on 285 points and Otago on 220. Hayward said the points-recount was “kind of a little bit better, at least we lost by a little bit, instead of two points which was just excruciatingly close.”

VUWSA Clubs Officer Melissa Barnard is “thrilled” with the result. “If [our competitors] feel that they performed to their best…and they’re happy with how they went then you can’t argue much past that.”

University Sport NZ Executive Director Jim Ellis told Salient he has had feedback that the Games were the best yet, and that he was highly impressed with the level of competition at this year’s event.

Vic’s Games hopes were dampened early on, after Lincoln University reserved Vic’s first choice of theme song for the Games Opening Ceremony, Justin Timberlake’s SexyBack.

University Sport NZ then selected The Exponents’ ‘Victoria’ – a song about a prostitute, and also the theme song of Vic’s Debating Society.

A last-ditch attempt by Team Vic management to secure MC Hammer’s ‘Can’t Touch This’ along with MC Hammer pants for the Opening Ceremony stilt walkers came too late.

Footage of the games can be viewed at http:// www.youtube.com/vicunigames

* Disclaimer: Actually, we came third. Tricked ya!

With her take-no-prisoners, kick-ass attitude, former News Editor Laura McQuillan adequately makes up for her lack of stature. Roaming the corridors (and underground tunnels) of the University by day, and hunting vampires and Nazi war criminals by night, McQuillan will stop at nothing to bring you the freshest news.