May 14, 2007 | by  | in Uncategorised |

Bring Back The ’80s!

We live in an age of technology that brings us cool new gadgets to play with and blow our budgets on. But do you remember growing up when great music and even cooler cartoons surrounded us? Kids these days don’t know what they’re missing. Amen to being an ’80s baby!

Bring back the days of The Smurfs, Carebears, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and My Little Pony. Cartoons of the ’80s were exciting, entertaining, and somewhat educative. Nowadays, what do kids have? Barney, The Wiggles, and all the other crap cartoons and kids shows cannot compete with the ’80s cartoons. Our ’80s idols have made a comeback in fashion. Retro clothes everywhere have pictures of our Care Bears, Strawberry Shortcake, Little Miss Sunshine, and Rainbow Brite, who once filled our living rooms. These are cartoons that will be always remembered. They are the illustrations for our life stories.

Those were the days when music was really about something, when the lyrics held a story and the beat was something pleasing to the ear. Now are the days when our music no longer seems to be the art form it once was.

Once music was listened to on vinyl records with over-sized headphones, and songs outlasted the three minute norm of today. Songs were about something more meaningful than drugs, money, and who’s got “beef” with whom.

Songs from the ’60s, ’70s, and especially the ’80s are ones that have not been forgotten. They have kept a place in our hearts. Being an ’80s baby myself, I grew up in a house filled with great music such as the likes of Elton John, Neil Diamond, Sting, The Beatles, and Pink Floyd. These were artists who had an effect on the world. 50 Cent and the Pussycat Dolls are not going down in history, nor are they leaving us with any memorable songs that we will want to keep listening to in twenty, or even ten years from now.

Kids growing up in the ’80s ran around listening to songs like ‘Brown Eyed Girl’ and ‘Tiny Dancer’, wearing scrunchies and tie-dyed t-shirts.

Nowadays, they’re listening to ‘Don’t Cha’ on their iPods and texting on their cellphones, trying to be a whole lot older than they are.

Bring back the ’80s, when kids weren’t afraid to be kids, when we had a whole damn lot better taste in cartoons and when music meant something more than just a way for one rapper to “diss” another rapper. Bring back the ’80s!

Love, The ’80s Baby xx

1. Joe J says:

Very insightful information about the 80s. Too bad that everyone does not share this perspective. I DEFINITELY share your perspective. The 80s will be forever remembered as the greatest time in our history, at least until another great time comes around, if it does.

What is amazing is how you can take a heavy metal singer from the 80s that sings about sex and drugs and compare him to a typical pop star of today. I have much more respect for the metal singer because wrong or right, he isn’t a sellout. He has his soul intact and has a real purpose. #@!$ the man was the political statement of the time. But, nowadays no matter what a star sings about, it’s usually mindless and today’s singers have no soul or real purpose. They sell themselves to get where they are and don’t hesitate to be disgraceful. Its very tragic how they market and sell bad influence through our exploited children. Even the Family channel shows making out every 2 seconds.

There is nothing about this day and age that is appealing compared to the 80s. Even my daughter thinks more of the great uniqueness of the past comapred to today’s washups.

I am forever grateful that I was raised in the 80s and will forever make certain that no one around me forgets susch a great time in our history. We should reject today’s garbage and bring back the great times of the people.

2. Natalie says:

i am Natalie. im a teen trying to bring back the 80’s but i need some help doing so sense i was’t thare. i beleave this is a very great idea. i no thares people out thare that probably would hate this but come on i no i would’t miss all those show’s on MTV for music videos of real 80’s music i would love this sooooooooooooooo much. the dances were better 2. im sick of all the garbage other people keep trying tosell to me. IM SICK OF IT. i want to change it. i want to make those people stop doing this. i want the 80’s to come back. i want this so much im willing to stand up agaist people who say that i should’t try this, even my friends. i want a change, and it is’t going to happen over night, i need people to help. let show people that u can bring back the best times of time. let do this. if you would like to help me email me at nataliepopcorn@yahoo.com thank you so much, good bye plz help

3. Sando says:

Are you aware that Jon Bon Jovi is a cowboy and rides a steel horse?

That’s pretty fucking metal.