By-election date set: huge turnout of apathy predicted

The upcoming by-election for the positions of Women’s Rights Officer and Education Officer (Welfare) has been set for May 28-June 1, and a new Returning Officer, Pippa Strom, has been appointed.

Strom says she is “thrilled to be appointed Returning Officer, and…already well on the way to producing a fair and well-organised election.”

“Of course we hope to get as many candidates as possible and a large voter turn-out for this by-election. I hope some students are already considering standing for Women’s Rights Officer or for Education Officer B, and that everyone else will become increasingly aware of their coming chance to participate in this by-election, particularly as we increase publicity.”

Former Education Officer (Welfare) Chris Renwick resigned several weeks ago, and the co-option of former Acting Women’s Rights Officer Clelia Opie was rescinded by the VUWSA executive.

Jenna Butt and Georgina Dickson have since been co-opted respectively to fill the positions until new officers are elected. Both have expressed their intention to run in the election.

With her take-no-prisoners, kick-ass attitude, former News Editor Laura McQuillan adequately makes up for her lack of stature. Roaming the corridors (and underground tunnels) of the University by day, and hunting vampires and Nazi war criminals by night, McQuillan will stop at nothing to bring you the freshest news.