May 9, 2007 | by  | in Features |

Can you be Education Officer or Women’s Rights Officer for VUWSA?

WHY should you participate in the upcoming VUWSA By-Election? Because you will be choosing who provides the representation and coordinates the services that are funded by and designed for students. You could even select yourself for such a role.

If you wish to stand for either the position of Education Officer B (one of the portfolios in the General Exec group), or Women’s Rights Officer (who must be female) then please pick up a nomination form from the VUWSA Office, Ground Floor, Student Union Building, Kelburn Campus. Offices on other campuses have also been supplied with nomination forms. You must place the completed, signed form in the Candidate Nominations Box in the Kelburn (main) Campus VUWSA Office by 4:30pm on Friday 18th May, when nominations close.

Candidates for the two positions will then enter into a lively campaign week. Events will include a Forum where candidates may speak to students and answer questions in an entertaining and social environment. Look out for campaign publicity from the candidates so that you can make an informed voting decision about who you think should hold these responsibilities. When the date of the Forum is announced, come along and throw some questions, even spark a debate with or between your prospective Students’ Association representatives, so that when the week beginning 28th May arrives you can make a knowledgeable voting decision.

All students are encouraged to participate in the upcoming By-Election. Although voting is not compulsory, it is one of the simplest things you can do that has such magnitude, and the best way to keep our democracy is of course to exercise it. The electronic voting system guides you through the process, and in less than a minute you will have cast your vote! During polling week, Monday 28th May to Friday 1st June, some computers on campuses will be set aside for you to drop by and vote easily. However, your first opportunity to vote will come via an E-mail with a link – you simply click and pick!

Till then, it is worth considering standing for one of these VUWSA positions. If you have any problems obtaining your nomination form, please E-mail for help. Be sure to put it in the Candidate Nominations Box by 4:30pm on Friday 18th May. For more information about the role of Education Officer B or Women’s’ Welfare Officer, please go to the VUWSA website.