May 7, 2007 | by  | in Music |

Elston Gun, Boss Christ, and Volcana

This week in music was all about dirty rock and roll. OS9 is back on its feet, going from a drum and bass orientated venue to pulling in rock bands for all ages show. Friday April 27 saw four talented musicians united under the name Elston Gun rip into their blues based rock and roll. The crowd lapped up their stage antics, with searing riffs, well timed and tightly convened stops and solos rocking the large stage. For fans of Led Zeppelin, Kings of Leon or the Datsuns, check Elston Gun out at http://www.myspace.com/elstongun.

Tuesday nights at the San Fran have been a staple in my socialising calendar for the past year, with the VBC holding the evenings, exposing Wellington to (usually) good local music and cheap drink specials.

However, Tuesday May 1 saw the beginning of a new era for these nights, as the VBC have reformatted their residency. Kristen Paterson,VBC’s programming co-director and events manager, is ready to make big changes: “It’s time to freshen it up and get the station going in full swing”.

The new format will see a local band taking on a month long residency with some new tempting drink specials. The 1 May opening night of this new format was a night not to be missed; and as evident by the packed venue, people were in the know. Wairarapa’s Boss Christ got the show rolling, as the muscle tee and track pant wearing, massive ginger sideburns and mullet sporting man, stamped and clapped as he chanted a blues, gang chain styled song about his invincibility. The crowd was stunned. Boss Christ then sat down, guitar in lap, with basic backing tracks and proceeded to sing/yell/chant in his deep bottle-of-bourbon -a-day-does-that-to-you blues style voice, about his hate of Bruce Springsteen, and love of drinking, partying and fighting, alternating country and blues throughout his set.

Local surf rock husband and wife duo Volcana, picked up where ‘The Boss’ (his claim) left off, keeping the crowd dancing and enthralled. Volcana are residents for the next month.

Comparisons of drummer Sonia’s simplistic solid style to Meg White were voiced around me but the duo managed to hold their crowd as they filled the place with their simple, tightly rhythmic, rockabilly style. Check out www.myspace.com/volcana, or go along in the next three weeks.

Questions were raised as to how they will keep it fresh each week, but according to Paterson they have quite a wide range of material already, and they have been around for quite awhile, so they have a really full set that they can do. “Each week should be fantastic.”

And to keep things interesting, as of next month, each month will have a launch themed night for the first Tuesday of the month, and the last Tuesday of the month will see a closing party with a guest DJ. Appealingly, the VBC wholeheartedly encourage dress ups, with each month based on a different theme. June is rumoured to be a ho-down, so start rummaging through those old DD’s (double denims).

Quite possibly the highlight for the poor student, is the drink specials. No longer just the $3 Macs Gold handle, Tuesday nights at San Fran will also have $6 Mac Gold jugs, $4 tequilas and $18 bottles of red wine. Hello hangover Wednesday.

While Paterson believes the VBC nights have been going really well, she says it can always go better, “I think everyone should just come down and party, it’s a nice vibe, because it’s really about the people enjoying themselves with cheap drinks, good DJs and a band playing for them. Its just a really good thing to do post Monday blues to get your week going especially students who don’t have to be up at 9am the next morning!”