Eye on Exec

Clubs Officer Melissa Barnard was the source of some much-needed comic relief at last week’s VUWSA exec meeting, with line after line of zings, burns, and outbursts about licking the walls. Discussion at the meeting was largely dedicated to the budget proposal made by the Law Students’ Society. Barnard criticised the $1500 requested by the Society for a first-year mentoring programme, asking, “What are you going to do, put your ass on the photocopier and hit print?” Suggestions were made by Barnard to cut costs, including hiring the rowing club to row members of the Society to conferences held in Australia. “It’s called fitness training,” she explained. Environmental Officer Tushara Kodikara similarly took issue with the allocation of $1000 to a wine and cheese evening with a high profile speaker, noting that a door charge could be applied to cover the cost. “I’d pay ten dollars to go if I was a wanky lawyer,” he announced, and pointed out that Le Snaks from the vending machine outside were only a dollar.When the speaker at the evening was revealed to be Dame Silvia Cartwright, Barnard confused the former Governor-General with Dame Edna and asked, “is that the cross-dresser with the pink hair?” Prior to this, she had mused aloud about the type of paint on the VUWSA Meeting Room walls. “If we poured water on them do you think we could get drunk if we licked the walls?”

In terms of finances, VUWSA appears to be “doing very well” in the first quarter budget according Treasurer Alexander Neilson, who distributed a profit report at the meeting. Neilson also suggested VUWSA getting credit card, which he freely admitted that there would be little safeguard on.“This has ‘future fuck up’ written all over it,” Barnard said to him, before adding accusingly, “You seem to be very keen to get your hands on a credit card.” The matter went unresolved, but Salient will be sure to run any breaking news on exec members racking up thousands in credit card debt.

1. Eye on Salient says:

Maybe Salient should keep an eye on themselves…
    This story was published in this month’s Magneto –
    Massey Welly student mag.

Former Best Mag Comes and Scabs

By Gary Grant

The Victoria University student magazine Salient has angered Magneto by attempting to poach writers with the help of a Massey Journalism school lecturer.

Magneto editor Shalee Fitzsimmons said she doesn’t understand why Salient, with a university of nearly 20,000 students, is approaching our campus of 5,000 to write for them.

“It seems kind of ironic, however, it says a lot about the quality of our writers here at Massey Wellington.”

Salient editor Steve Nicoll apparently did not realise Magneto would take offence to his rustling.

He said he had looked around Victoria for suitable writers, and had found some, but went with Massey Journalism Lecturer James Hollings’ suggestion to ask Massey Journalism students to write for Salient.

Hollings has since approached students with offers of writing for Salient.

MAWSA President Sean Gillespie said although he was unimpressed with Nicoll he was more disappointed with Hollings.

Gillespie said he had approached Hollings to say MAWSA (Magneto owners) weren’t happy with the situation and found it offensive.

“His reply was even more disappointing, he wasn’t apologetic in the slightest, in fact, I found him somewhat condescending.”

“It’s a shame he seems to have more respect for the other University’s magazine than our own.”

A Salient contributor, who wishes to remain nameless, said Nicoll had barely attempted to find a Victoria University student to fill the role, asking for feature contributors in a closing paragraph of an editorial. They were surprised and offended at his move.

However, the duo’s attempts to recruit Massey writers were thwarted when the Salient Publications’ Committee strongly recommended that Nicoll stick to Victoria students.

Salient has been a leading New Zealand student magazine for many years but has taken a sudden dive in popularity this year.

Salient owners Victoria University Students’ Association (VUWSA) has been plagued with problems and negative media this year. A $5600 set of calls to psychic hotlines by an Exec member and a graffiti spree by the Vice President has bought VUWSA negative reports on Radio NZ, the Sunday Star Times, and on the front page of the Wellingtonian.

Love Magneto

2. Kerry Tankard says:

More interesting revelations to come when the Publications Committee meets again (…checks Salient notices page..) on the 11th June at 3pm in Vuwsa Meeting Rm.
    Get in early, could be standing room only.
    Exams? not a priority if you write for this paper….

3. Firing squad says:

What happened to feature writer Dave Crapton? Did he get the flick?

“Interesting revalations to come”? Hmmm… more fruit porn? More devoid-of-wit Bush bashing that turns people off liberalism? How about asking high school kids to write articles? Probably be better than Crampton or Archer I guess.

Perhaps employing a journalism school dropout (who’s idea of fun is picking up drunk Courtney Place teenagers) as editor wasn’t the best move.

Get your shit together Salient. You’ve got some good contributers but the package just ain’t what it use to be.

Ps – The top five and the vox pops really are crap this year. Get someone who has a clue to do them. I would say the pecking order compiler if it wasn’t so heavily plaguerised.

I’m only saying it cause I care.