May 28, 2007 | by  |

IGM nearly inquorate despite cheap beer

Drink specials at Mount Street Bar appeared to fall flat last week, when the VUWSA Initial General Meeting (IGM) required four head counts to gain quorum of 100 students.

The minutes of last year’s IGM were accepted after four pages were removed for containing unseconded motions.

The second item, tabling of the Annual Report 2006 by last year’s President Nick Kelly, created some controversy. There were complaints as to the actual content of the report, taking account of the heavy presence of Kelly’s opinion, especially in such things as his criticisms of certain exec members and certain student publications. However, after reviewing the legal advice surrounding the report, its contents were found not to be defamatory, and thus the report was accepted.

The appointment of VUWSA’s lawyer and auditor followed in the proceedings. A nomination for Hayden Wilson of Kensington Swan was narrowly defeated in favour of Paul Chisnall. BDO Spicers were re-appointed as auditors.

VUWSA enthusiast Nicholas O’Kane’s motion to amend the VUWSA constitution to reduce the annual VUWSA levy from $120 back to the $99 of previous years was struck down as invalid by President Geoff Hayward, following legal advice.

General business included O’Kane asking VUWSA to support Voluntary Student Membership (VSM) (defeated) and a café staff member moving that one person in attendance be labeled “a slimy git” (defeated).

Chris Bishop moved a motion regarding the behaviour of certain members of the exec. Bishop’s motion suggested the student body “condemn the behaviour of Heleyni Pratley and Clelia Opie, and call for a greater standard of behaviour by the executive.” Opie and Pratley recently made national headlines after misdeeds involving psychic hotlines and graffiti in the VUWSA office.

As debate began, a quorum-count was called for, and with only 39 of the initial 100 students remaining, the meeting was declared inquorate and closed.

1. Tumuaki
  2. Ngā Rangahautira
  3. Ngā Taura Umanga
  4. Ngā Pou o Ngāi Tauira
  5. Te Hōhaieti o te reo Māori ki Wikitōria
  6. Te Kura Reo ki te Ūpoko o te Ika
  7. Pūrangiaho
  8. Ingoa Kārangaranga
  9. Yarn With Zwaan
  10. Te Ao Mārama

Most popular

1. The police are decriminalising weed in New Zealand 395 views
  2. Taking My Mother Along To See Pinky Fang 124 views
  3. Happy Birthday Lindsay Lohan—An Interview With Claire Harris 73 views
  4. Would You Chop Up a Giraffe? 68 views
  5. Can the Hipster Survive in Wellington? 48 views
  6. Puffer Jackets 38 views
  7. The Discontinuation Method 35 views
  8. Ingoa Kārangaranga 35 views
  9. A gentleman always lets his lady cum first 25 views
  10. Beautiful Bodies 21 views
weed

The police are decriminalising weed in New Zealand

: Why have cannabis-related arrests halved while use has remained the same? There’s a simple answer: the Police are decriminalising cannabis in New Zealand