It’s a mad mad mad mad May!

Kia Ora, Welcome to another week.

I was filling in the timetable for the next few months and I realised how busy the next four weeks are. Last Saturday was Cinco De Mayo, and big ups to Genevieve Fontanier, International Students Officer, The International Students Council and The Establishment for making that happen.

Also it’s the Mo Month of May, an annual tradition where the razors go missing for thirty days and the lip slugs roll on in. As always, proceeds go to a charity and this year it’s Canteen, whose mission is to “support, develop and empower young people living through cancer through a national peer support network, and high quality educational and recreational programmes.” In other words, supporting 13 to 24 year olds who have cancer (and siblings), by having supportive people who have been through the same experiences provide the means for sufferers to open up. It’s a great service, and I am proud that we are aligned with them. Check the Mount St Bar for more details about the events hosted all month, including quiz nights, the Mo-Karaoke night (hosted by yours truly), and the Magnum P.I. Marathon. Special thanks to Paul Brown and UniQ (The Rep Group for GLBT Students).

On May 19th, there’s the Clubs Fundraiser, the Threesome on Blair Street. The entirety of Blair Street, from Wakefield to Courtenay, will be closed, and covered with a marquee. Three major events: The Super 14 Final, the FA Cup Final (between Manchester United and Chelsea) and in between, Jordan Luck (of the Exponents) will be performing. Tickets are $20 (or $25 for non-students). Plus every ticket holder gets a free meal and a beer (before 9pm though, so get in quick, the gates open at 6pm), plus drinks specials that you can get from one of five bars inside the marquee. Even Studentville (you know, on C4 every Monday at 10pm) have wanted to get in. Clubs get half of the ticket price for themselves, so it’s a real simple fundraising opportunity. Tickets are available from people in clubs that you know, or at VUWSA and Cosmic Corner. Remember clubs: get your skates on and start selling.

You don’t have to just invite students, it’s open to the public (but it is an R18 event)

There’s also No Diet Day, on this Tuesday the 8th of May, being hosted by the Women’s group. It’s time to feel proud of whom you are, not who we are forced to look like. There’s a Karaoke and Pudding Competition (get baking) so go crazy and celebrate. It’s in the Quad. And on the 10th of May, there’s the National Day of Action for Thursdays in Black as well. It’s time we acknowledge that we can live in a world without the fear of rape and violence against women, and men. Come show your support, by wearing black.

Also, it’s graduation next week, with events over the week, in the city and on campus. I’ll talk more about that next week, but there’s going to be a lot of celebrating on the cards.

Back to more serious things, the VUWSA IGM will be on the Wednesday, 23rd of May at the Mount St Bar, from 1pm. The main item on the agenda is to accept the Annual Report 2006, a document that will end I hope the sorry chapter of financial mismanagement in 2006, and herald the successes of ’07. Might I also add that we are on budget so far this year: so far, so good. Also, we will be holding the By-Election for the positions of Women’s Rights Officer and Education Officer B. Details on nominations will be out shortly, with the polls opening on May 28.

Now is your chance to serve your fellow students. I’ll be honest, it’s not an easy job (a lesson learnt with late nights in the office and early morning starts), but there is value in working to support others, even here at VUWSA. Come to the VUWSA Kelburn Office to find out more about running as a candidate.

If you are still with some breath at the end of the month, well I’ll be impressed. If anything, you’ll won’t be wanting for choice over May.