Male rain god smites femmies

Rain makes shit get wet

Feminism was dealt a blow last week after flood damage caused the Women’s Room to close.

Heavy rain last Tuesday night, where almost half a month’s worth of rain fell over four hours, caused the Student Union Building roof to leak and ceiling tiles in the Women’s Room to collapse, with water soaking couches and other contents, and spreading through two floors down to the VUWSA workroom.

The power supply to half the Building was also cut when water made its way into a switchboard.

VUWSA Acting Women’s Rights Officer Georgina Dickson said “It’s a bad thing that it’s out of action, but it is covered by insurance , so it’s a good opportunity maybe to get some new couches or something like that. But in the meantime it’s not so good.”

Salient understands that a number of other areas of the University were affected, including the ever-leaking Overbridge between Kirk and Murphy Buildings.

Union staff referred Salient to John Sharp of Facilities Management, who hadn’t yet seen the damage, but called the heavy rainfall “an unusual event”, and said there’s “a plan that’s in place at the moment to improve the leaks.”

Jenny Bentley of Facilities Management told Salient that her team was “working through the problems”, but was unable to comment on the extent of the damage to the University, the disruption to activities, or whether structural changes to buildings would be made to avoid future weather damage.

With her take-no-prisoners, kick-ass attitude, former News Editor Laura McQuillan adequately makes up for her lack of stature. Roaming the corridors (and underground tunnels) of the University by day, and hunting vampires and Nazi war criminals by night, McQuillan will stop at nothing to bring you the freshest news.

1. Your silent cries left unheard
  2. How it Works: On the Climate Change Response (Zero Carbon) Amendment Bill
  3. Is Vic Books Missing Out on the Living Wage Campaign?
  4. Jesus Christ Super-Nah, Saviour’s New Political Party May Need Miracle
  5. Issue 12 – Friendship
  6. SWAT: Friendship Column
  7. Inevitable Entanglement
  8. HOROSCOPE WEEK OF JUNE 3: FRIENDSHIP
  9. Liquid Knowledge: On Israel and Palestine
  10. An Ode to the Aunties