May 21, 2007 | by  | in Film |

Man of the Year

Man of the Year is about Tom Dobbs, played by Robin Williams, a political comedian in the vein of Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert. When it is suggested on his live TV show that he should run for President of the United States, millions write in to support his candidacy. A grassroots Internet movement rises up in support of Dobbs and soon he is on the ballots in thirteen of the fifty states. Then due to a glitch in the new computerized voting system, he wins.This film is very much about middle class America’s growing disillusionment with their electoral system (the working class and poor were disillusioned a long time ago, which is why they do not vote anymore). However, much like the politics of the middle class, this film is vague and fails to achieve what it sets out to do. Firstly, Man of the Year tries to blend comedy and political thriller together. It does not come together very well at all, making it seem very awkward. I usually have no problem suspending reality when watching films, even bad ones, but the lack of authenticity in the events portrayed, particularly the campaign, was very off-putting. Also Tom Dobbs was not very funny and often not even political. He made more jokes about boobs than anything else. Not very funny, not very thrilling, not very much to say about politics: I am not sure what the point to this film is and I do not think the director knew either.

BARRY LEVINSON