News In Briefs

Innocence Project established at Victoria

An Innocence Project has been established at Victoria University to ensure that serious miscarriages of justice, such as the conviction of David Bain, no longer occur.

Dr Maryanne Garry, who is Director of the Project and a Reader in the School of Psychology, says Innocence Projects have been established around the world to examine cases of wrongful conviction.

“The first Innocence Project was established in New York in 1992 and has since exonerated 200 people who were convicted of crimes they did not commit. Since then, Innocence Projects have been established worldwide to examine cases of wrongful conviction.”

Global Enterprise Experience winners announced

The winner of the Vic-based 2007 Global Enterprise Experience was announced last week.

The winning international team of six, made up of students from New Zealand (Chloe Dallaway – Victoria), Germany, Rwanda and Macau, proposed an investment company with an environmental conscience, and each student receives $1000.

Their winning business concept – Bios Investments – is an asset management company that strategically invests in companies that offer both immediate financial returns and environmentally sustainable returns for future generations.

In addition, rather than simply returning dividends to investors, a 2 per cent portion will be devoted to implementing a green marketing campaign.

The business-concept competition this year involved 650 students from 34 countries, led by students from Vic’s School of Marketing and International Business.

The teams had three weeks to design and jointly write a business proposal using web-based communication technology.

This year’s theme was a business that fosters environmental sustainability and draws on the talents and opportunities in the team members’ countries.

Head of Victoria’s School of Marketing & International Business, Associate Professor Val Lindsay, says the competition is a valuable opportunity for students to put their business skills to practice, and to further develop skills in leadership and communication technology.

Nominations sought for $65,000 literary prize

Nominations are now being sought for Australasia’s largest single literary award – the $65,000 Prize in Modern Letters.

Professor Bill Manhire, Director of the International Institute of Modern Letters at Victoria University, says nominations are sought from New Zealand’s talented emerging writers for the biennial award.

The International Institute of Modern Letters (IIML), based at Victoria University, administers the Prize in Modern Letters. The prize is funded by the philanthropist Glenn Schaeffer.

Professor Manhire will convene a panel of three judges who will announce a short list by 13 October 2007. Judges will pay particular attention to literary achievement and potential, and to the overall quality of authorship.

An international judge will then determine the overall winner for the fourth time in the short history of the prestigious award.

The winner will be announced in March 2008 during the New Zealand International Arts Festival. Nominations must be received by 28 July 2007.

Conditions of entry, eligibility and nomination forms are available online at www.vuw.ac.nz/modernletters/activities/prize-in-modern-letters.asp