News In Briefs

Carparks going cheep cheep

VUWSA carparks are now $90 for the remainder of the trimester. Visit the Kelburn VUWSA Office to find out more. Be in quick!

Sign Language Week

The first ever New Zealand Sign Language (NZSL) week takes place from May 8-14.

The purpose of the NZSL Week is to raise awareness that NZSL is now New Zealand’s third official language and is very much a part of Deaf culture and NZ society.

There are a heap of events taking place in Wellington for NZSL Week, including:

• Free NZSL taster classes. On offer at Victoria University! These are 45 minutes long, and there are a few places left for Tuesday May 8 at 12pm and 1pm at the Kelburn Campus. Sign up now by emailing tastenzsl@hotmail.com. There are other free taster classes on offer throughout NZ. Check out www.nzslta.org.nz
• NZSL Week Launch. There will be an opening ceremony at Parliament on May 7 to launch this first ever NZSL Week. A brand-new website will also be launched so check out www.nzsign.co.nz
• NZSL Films on show. The 3rd Deaf Short Film Competition will be screening in Auckland on May 12 and in Wellington after NZSL Week. Check out www.deafshortfilm.co.nz for more details.

With her take-no-prisoners, kick-ass attitude, former News Editor Laura McQuillan adequately makes up for her lack of stature. Roaming the corridors (and underground tunnels) of the University by day, and hunting vampires and Nazi war criminals by night, McQuillan will stop at nothing to bring you the freshest news.