Pecking Order

Percentage of Kiwis who agree with The Privy Council’s decision to quash David Bain’s conviction: 80

Percentage of Kiwis who think Bain should just be released: 66

Minimum number of centuries in prison served by U.S. convicts for crimes of which DNA evidence later exonerated them: 19

Years after symptoms of his deranging genetic disorder appeared that King George III held the throne in England: 56

Amount that the Catholic Church spent in Britain in 2005 advertising for new priests on bar coasters: $1,501.34

Estimated number of young Christians in 1995 who had pledged to wait until marriage for sex: 2,500,0001

Estimated number who actually waited: 12

The median age of a Kiwi woman giving birth in 2006: 30

The median age of a woman giving birth in 1976: 25

Ratio of the average cost of a gallon of gas in Britain last September to that of a gallon of Starbucks coffee: 1:4

Hours after an Australian fisherman fell overboard in 2000 that his head was found in the belly of a 98-pound cod: 21

Percentage increase in food prices since 2006 of meat, poultry, fish, fruit and vegetables: 9.5%

Price for a custom-made bulletproof sports coat, from a Colombian manufacturer: $1,392.15

Price for a stab-proof T-shirt: $681.89

Number of karate experts hired by the organizers of a Kiwi vintage-car exposition to defend the cars from parrots: 40

Numeral whose underlying concept has been partially understood by a Massachusetts parrot, according to scientists : 0

Number of years a sheep can remember another sheep’s face: 2

Percentage of Kiwis who want Suzanne Paul to win Dancing with the Stars: 41

Percentage of Kiwis who watch TV and have no lives: 41

Number of party pills sold in New Zealand since 2000: 26 million

Number out of four Kiwi women who can’t remember what they did while drinking: 1

Number of U.S. states where bestiality is legal: 20

Year in which Police investigated a reputed bestiality farm in the U.S after a man died of internal bleeding from having sex with a horse: 2005

Chance that the bestiality video watched by Police Commissioner Howard Broad contained a chicken, according to Investigate magazine: 100%

SOURCES: 1. 2, 18. TV 3 Poll; 3. Innocence Project (N.Y.C.); 4. Prof. Martin Warren, University of London; 5. National Office for Vocation (London); 6, 7. Peter Bearman, Columbia University (N.Y.C.); 8, 9, 12. Statistics NZ; 10. Her Majesty’s Customs and Excise (London)/Starbucks Coffee Company (London)/Harper’s Magazine; 11. Cairns Police Department (Queensland, Australia); 13, 14. Miguel Caballero (Bogotá); 15. CNews; 16. Irene Pepperberg, Brandeis University (Waltham, Mass); 17. Dr. Keith Kendrick, The Babraham Institute (Cambridge, U.K.); 18. TV 3 Poll; 19. Salient Research; 20. Dominion Post Dec 21 2006; 21. www. alchol.org.nz; 22. The Humane Society of the United States (Washington); 23. http://seattlepi.nwsource.com; 24. Its obvious, eh?;