Pharmac launches antibiotics campaign at Vic

Salient gets free sandwiches and goody bags

Pharmac, New Zealand’s drug-governing body, last week launched its ‘Well Winter’ campaign at Vic’s Rutherford House to maintain awareness of the wise use of antibiotics.

The campaign is now in its tenth year, and CEO Matt Brougham said that campaigns over the past few years have raised a greater awareness and shown a change in usage of antibiotics.

The three slogans behind this year’s campaign are ‘if in doubt, check it out,’ ‘take the lot, no matter what,’ and ‘antibiotics don’t do colds and flu’ – which Brougham forgot, because it doesn’t rhyme so well.

General practitioner Dr Jim Vause said it was important that there be a continued change in doctors’ prescribing behaviour. Antibiotics should be used for bacterial infections, and not for viral infections like colds and flu, so as to prevent the development of “superbugs,” and to prevent patient demand for unnecessary antibiotics.

Pharmac’s new television advertisements, featuring military-style antibiotics, “cute” bugs, and a number of puns, will screen nationwide soon.

10. International Queer in Review