President Geoff

Once again, I reiterate my congratulations to our recent graduates. Hopefully some of you are continuing on with study and after the celebrations will have to get back to work; I wish you the best of luck in your graduate study.

It’s getting close to the end of the First Trimester of 2007 and while I can almost smell the holiday air, there’s a couple of things over the next two weeks that I wanted to talk about; things of supreme importance for students.

The first is this Wednesday’s IGM (or Initial General Meeting). Earlier this year in one of my columns, I wrote about what an IGM is. I am happy to say that we will finally be having this event. The most important matter on the agenda is the passing of the 2006 Annual Report. Copies will be available from today at VUWSA Kelburn on request. VUWSA is required not only to table that document, but also to hold the IGM, as it is a legally incorporated society, and also a transparent organisation acting in the best interests of all of our constituents: the student body of Victoria University. Come to the Mount Street Bar and Café from 1pm this Wednesday to vote on the passing of the report, as well as on any constitutional amendments proposed. Check the notice board at VUWSA Kelburn for more information on this. There will also be drinks specials at the bar, if that’s your thing.

Secondly, there is the VUWSA by-election being held. The election is for the appointment of two vacant roles on the VUWSA Executive: Education Officer (Welfare) and Women’s Rights Officer. Nominations have closed, and voting will commence from next Monday, May 28, going on for the rest of that study week. To vote, check your e-mail inbox. An invitation to vote online will be posted to you. Voting is extremely quick online.

Alternatively, there will be sites around the four campuses during the polling week so you can physically cast your votes there. Contact the Returning Officer Pippa Strom for more details (or if you are having trouble voting) at the VUWSA Kelburn Office.

Also on this Wednesday is the traditional Candidates Forum, from 5pm until 7 at the Mount St Bar. There will be drinks specials again. You get to see candidates being grilled on their candidacies, what they are standing for, and you get to learn about what they want to do in VUWSA. Salient will also be there to report on the event.

On a related note, I wanted to personally congratulate all those who are running in the election. By running, you are taking a small step towards the noble goal of helping others; sacrificing your time in the service of our fellow students. Let it not be forgotten that VUWSA serves at the pleasure of our constituents: the students of Victoria University. You should feel proud, and should you not win, take pride in the fact that VUWSA is a democratic body, and through a thorough, fair, and transparent process listens to the collective will of students.

Finally I want to urge all students to vote in the elections. Whether or not you are a supporter of student democracy, or you think you do not need or want our services, we do serve many students, making a difference in so many ways. Voting is quick, very quick. A five-minute vote can make a huge difference. Please vote for the candidates, and let VUWSA hear your voice.