President Geoff

One week left, better get your skates on!

Last week, we succeeded where few previous administrations failed: to pass an annual report (with audited accounts), and appoint the auditors and lawyer at the IGM and not at the AGM (which is held later in the year). This, combined with our financial reports, showing a strong start to the year shows that we are continuing to restore our financial situation. While it may not be such an important point to some of you, it is important that VUWSA is making sure it is financially responsible to those who help fund our activities.

So back at VUWSA, it’s an election week if you hadn’t noticed. A by-election for the Women’s Rights Officer and the second Education Officer has been called, candidates have been out there on the hustings, including last week’s candidates forum (details of that are in this edition of Salient as well as candidate profiles). I reiterate my comments from last week: please, please, please vote. No matter whom you vote for, get out and vote. Don’t waste your vote. You will receive an email invitation to vote online, it takes only a few minutes, and then, you are done. You can vote at home, in the library, even thanks to the wonders of technology during your lecture!

Why should I vote? Always a good question. I guess it’s the idea that if you aren’t happy with what’s there, you can vote to change. You can always vote for a candidate that appeals to you on a personal level. I know that sounds corny but it actually works: who would you prefer: the person who deep down you felt they could do the job, or the person you just felt tried the hardest? If neither of these rationales strikes a chord, then I guess you’ll have to make your own reason. In any case, don’t complain if you didn’t vote, VUWSA knows that you, the students, have the power. You need only wield it.

So, voting starts Monday, and goes right through to Friday. Voting is primarily by electronic means, but there will be voting booths. In any case, do not miss the opportunity to vote. If you did not receive an email from the retuning officer Pippa Strom, please contact her by email: returning_officer@vuwsa.org.nz and she will help you out. Please vote for two of the fine candidates arrayed. And good luck again to all of the candidates.

As I write this, my ears are still ringing from the Karaoke Night held at the Mount St Bar and Café. You missed a great sing along, I hope we can have more of them. Stay tuned when you get back from mid year break.

On that point, Re-Orientation will be waiting for you as you return from your exams and eventual slumber. It will be packed with realy fun nights, great day events, and hopefully a lot of fun. Don’t miss out. You’ll see Billy T out on campus when you get back.

Finally, enjoy the break…it’s well deserved, and might I add that you will no doubt find that when you return that VUWSA will be back, hosting another fantastic Re-Orientation. Good luck on your exams, and have a good break.

PS: don’t forget when your exams are on, there is nothing more embarrassing when you get the time of the exam mixed up!