May 28, 2007 | by  | in Music |

Sounds Like A Blur

Wellington-based photographer Sean Aickin is currently exhibiting some of his best live gig photos of New Zealand bands at the San Fran Bathhouse, in an exhibition called Sounds Like a Blur .

The exhibition’s uniqueness lies in the fact that of the 20 photos displayed, all profits from the prints sold are going to the featured band’s charity of choice.

Having worked taking live photos over the last five years, this exhibition is reflecting Aickin’s desire “to showcase the amazing talent we have in the New Zealand music industry. For music fans, nothing beats a live gig, so the photos I’ve selected for Sounds Like a Blur are designed to bring the feeling and intensity of a live show straight back home with you.” And the idea behind having the exhibition at a bar and profits going to charity is based on Aickin’s pursuit of innovation.

“Basically I wanted to exhibit my images in an innovative way (i.e. NOT a gallery) and involve the bands as much as possible. I also wanted to sell the images, but couldn’t come up with a fair distribution between the bands and myself, so I figured it would be good if we donated to charity, and then thought it would be a better idea to get the bands to choose the charity!”

The opening night was last Monday at the San Fran, where the sponsor’s Macs Gold beer flowed free, and as evident by the amount of people present, the exhibition has, and will continue to be very well received. Aickin states that “everyone is loving the images and they are more likely to purchase because it is relatively affordable as well as being entirely for charity!”

Aickin notes the bands are “all really keen for it and are quite proud of their charities. It’s going well, so everyone involved is happy!” These chosen charities range from Autozamm’s Amnesty International, to Deja Voodoo’s Testicular Cancer Trust to The Accellerants’ Cats’ Protection League, with everything in-between. Aicken notes that so far The Mint Chicks’ image with the chain saw has proven most popular, followed by the silhouette-styled image of Steriogram.

The A4’s are being sold for $35 with $30 going to Charity and the A3’s are $50 with $40 going to charity, and with Little Brother Fashion picking up the tab for the running of the show, Aicken is able to ensure all the money made is going to the charities.

Sounds Like a Blur is on now until June the 4th at the San Fran. The closing gig will be on the 31st of May at the San Fran with Knife Fight and Ghost Train playing with profits going to the Wellington Night Shelter.

The prints are available for purchase through Real Groovy and Little Brother, and there will also be a special online auction for the A1 sized exhibition photos, running on TradeMe from Tuesday 5 June with all proceeds going to the band’s charity of choice.

Check out the images at www.myspace.com/soundslikeablur

Or contact Sean at sean@darklight.net.nz www.darklight.net.nz

7. International Queer in Review
  8. Rostra’s Hot Takes – Queerlient
  9. Issue 14 – Queerlient
  10. Interview with Claudia Jardine