May 14, 2007 | by  | in Film |

Spider-Man 3

This is the film where Spider-Man supposedly has some sort of internal struggle and he fights the Goblin, Sandman and Venom, while trying to save his relationship with Mary Jane. There really isn’t anything new in this film. Often it seem to degenerate into self-parody; there were parts that felt was like a Saturday Night Live skit.

With so much focus on special effects, it felt like the filmmaker just left the story to go through the motions. There seem to be bit added to the script for no other reason than to move the story along, the dialogue was painfully cheesy and some parts just made no sense.

Packing in three bad guys was just too much. Sandman was merely a two dimensional character and Venom only showed up in the last 20 minutes. Both of those character’s resolutions were so lame they were embarrassing to watch. This was unfortunate as the antagonists of the two previous films were by far the most interesting things about them. The over sentimentality, scenes of sycophantic hero worship and blatant patriotism gave the film an almost crypto-fascist feel, which really makes me appreciate Alan Moore’s anti super hero comics. The highlight of the film was without doubt Bruce Campbell cameo as the Maître d’ and J.K. Simmons as J. Jonah Jameson, they steal every scene they are in.

I walked away from Spider-Man 3 feeling I had seen a new high in special effects and a new low in story telling. That is a strange contradiction that leads me to believe that when is so much potential with so little to show for it, film goers are really missing out.

SAM RAIMI