May 21, 2007 | by  | in Music |

Stolen Youth – Unconscious in Orthodox.

Stolen Youth is Australia’s answer to melodic hardcore bands such as Good Riddance, Propagandhi and Strike Anywhere. Since bursting onto Adelaide’s punk scene in 2001 the band has persisted with its commitment to D.I.Y ethics. Stolen Youth has toured extensively throughout Australia, and shared the stage with Good Riddance, Strike Anywhere, Champion, Madball, Anti-Flag and Comeback Kid. The band has four releases through their bass player’s independent record label Two Bucks Records. The Smurfer EP was recorded in two days and released in 2003. A cassette demo was released in 2004 at a show supporting Ignite (USA). The second EP When Spiders Unite was recorded at Soundhouse Studio and released in 2005. The latest offering from Stolen Youth is their explosive debut full-length, Unconscious in Orthodox.

Unconscious in Orthodox is made up of ten fast, tight and energetic punk anthems that occasionally stray into hardcore territories. It is a perfect continuation from their previous EP. The lyrics are best summed up as simple, straight-forward and politically-charged. The style of the vocals is similar to that of Strike Anywhere – clear, passionate and aggressive but with a distinctly Australian accent. The dual guitars interact tremendously to give the music depth and the drumming is fast, relentless and plays a major part in driving the songs forward. Overall, the songs are well written and delivered, and the production does well to convey the live energy and put the band forward on its best foot.

Check them out live at Valve, Friday May 25, with Kitsch, Not Quite Right and One Bad Weekend, and buy the album while you’re there.

1. Token Cripple: You’re totally messing with my cripple aura, dood.
  2. You Are Not Your Illness
  3. Let Me at The Bachelor, and Other Shit Chat
  4. Lost in the Sauce – Avo-no you didn’t
  5. Mauri Ora – Winter’s Comin’
  6. Token Cripple – How To Survive Your First Year at University (with a disabled twist!)
  7. Dream Diagnosis – Fire in Wellington
  8. Liquid Knowledge – Animal farts and performative veganism
  10. Uni Council Corner

He Tāonga

:   I wanted to write this piece, in order to connect to all tauira within the University, with the hope that we can all remind ourselves that we are a part of an environment which is valuable, no matter our culture, our beliefs or our skin colour. The ultimate purpose of this