Students to become less frigid

Thanks to students’ associations throughout New Zealand and the Energy Efficiency and Conservation authority, Wellington’s signature freezing flats might soon be a thing of the past.

Aaron Packard, president of campus environmental group Gecko, says most student flats in Wellington and other student cities are currently below the world health standards for insulation – “yet it is a profoundly simple problem to solve – it just requires a few people to come together and be dedicated to solving it.”

A proposal by students’ associations and environmental groups from Victoria University, Otago University and the University of Auckland, along with Sustainability Trust and NZ Property Investors’ Federation for more government funding through EECA to specifically target student flats has been delivered to the Prime Minister, along with government spokesperson on energy efficiency Jeanette Fitzsimons and Minister of Energy David Parker as well as to representatives of the EECA.

Packard says, “this proposal will complement other government strategies to mitigate climate change by reducing the demand for electricity.”

While he says universities have no official responsibility in finding a solution to unhealthy, uneconomical and unsustainable student flats, “the University could look really good if it decided to sponsor/help with the project.

“It would show that it genuinely cares for its students and their living conditions.”

1. Wellington
  2. “Bet the next Salient is going to milk this dry”
  3. How to Find Love in Wellington
  4. On Violence
  5. Salient’s New Zealander of the Year
  6. The Jet Plane, the Typewriter and the Art Dealer
  7. We Drank With Grant Robertson So You Wouldn’t Have To
  8. Wellington’s Coffee Scene: Low Budgement Day
  9. The Cocktail Diaries
  10. We’re really sorry that the last week of news is so depressing

In the Shadow of the Kowloon Walled City

: At its peak, the Kowloon Walled City was home to 33,000 people in just two hectares of land—a hastily put together conglomerate of tiny apartments, one of top of the other, caged balconies slapped onto the sides and connected through a labyrinth of damp, dark corridors.