Students to become less frigid

Thanks to students’ associations throughout New Zealand and the Energy Efficiency and Conservation authority, Wellington’s signature freezing flats might soon be a thing of the past.

Aaron Packard, president of campus environmental group Gecko, says most student flats in Wellington and other student cities are currently below the world health standards for insulation – “yet it is a profoundly simple problem to solve – it just requires a few people to come together and be dedicated to solving it.”

A proposal by students’ associations and environmental groups from Victoria University, Otago University and the University of Auckland, along with Sustainability Trust and NZ Property Investors’ Federation for more government funding through EECA to specifically target student flats has been delivered to the Prime Minister, along with government spokesperson on energy efficiency Jeanette Fitzsimons and Minister of Energy David Parker as well as to representatives of the EECA.

Packard says, “this proposal will complement other government strategies to mitigate climate change by reducing the demand for electricity.”

While he says universities have no official responsibility in finding a solution to unhealthy, uneconomical and unsustainable student flats, “the University could look really good if it decided to sponsor/help with the project.

“It would show that it genuinely cares for its students and their living conditions.”

1. V-ISA speaks out against outsourcing
  2. Pain
  3. A list of things that will help keep us healthy and pain-free this winter
  4. Wellington City Council are telling fibs
  5. Boring report proves mildly interesting
  6. Otago Uni are desperate
  7. Lol, no one was going to vote anyway
  8. We are not so bad at sport after all
  9. V-ISA speak out against outsourcing
  10. Kelburn residents angry about non-existent building

Dancing With Sad Sweaty Businessmen

: An instructor who I will amiably call Old Man Yellow Teeth tried to approach me, but I ran to the water cooler.