University Was Great Until Exams

Have you started making plans for June yet? You may well ask, “why?” For first year students and those returning students who have forgotten the challenges associated with June just remember that its other name at Victoria University is ‘Study and Examination Period.’ We are keen to help reduce the number of stressed students on campus by offering a few suggestions about how to avoid the examination blues and generally how to continue enjoying your time as a student at Victoria University. In 2005 a survey of first year undergraduate students at Victoria was conducted to try to determine how they were coping with the transition to being a university student. The results make interesting reading and include some to the following insights. A third of students who responded had doubts about the courses they had chosen, nearly half of the students acknowledged that they needed to improve their academic skills and that they had not been doing enough work, around 13 per cent of students stated that they were experiencing emotional health issues and about 20 per cent were finding it difficult to fit in or measure up with other students.

It seems that there are a lot of students wondering about what they are doing, feeling that they need to improve their study skills and work harder and possibly thinking about ways to improve their emotional health and how to relate to other students. Therefore if you are feeling any of these things, you are not alone It is not expected that students have to sort out issues such as these by themselves.

Just remember, Student Services Te Huinga Ratonga Tauira are here to help you and that it is okay to ask for help. Asking for help is a healthy thing and doing so generally means that you will do better and feel happier than those who try to struggle alone. For academic support visit the great team at the Student Learning Support Service (SLSS).

With exams coming soon, get prepared with:
Test/exam workshops that focus on revision strategies.
Exam techniques and essay writing skills for exams.
Study skills and learning method classes about how to read effectively. Improving your memory skills.
Writing skills classes for useful strategies for planning, editing and proof-reading assignments.

We recommend their popular Mathematics and Statistics classes and programmes.

Maori, Pasifika, International and Postgraduate student programmes are also recommended. Classes are FREE and held at SLSS, Hunter Courtyard, Level 0, Kirk Wing by Gate 2, Kelburn Parade. Call in to pick up a workshop programme. There is no need to book for classes – just turn up on the day. Learning advisers are also available for individual appointments. You are welcome to schedule a time -call 463 5999. Attend early so you don’t miss out!

The Counselling Service (CS) is another great place for students to visit. Apart from individual appointments with professionally trained counsellors the CS also offers group sessions and workshops on topics such as meditation, relaxation, a group for men and a living in New Zealand group for international and migrant students.

Seeing a counsellor is a great opportunity to explore issues which you are unable to discuss with your friends or family\whanau. Sometimes worrying about things and not talking about them makes them seem even worse than they actually are.

Having an opportunity to speak with a counsellor will provide some perspective on your circumstances and help you to develop insight into your situation which is great for your development as a healthy person.

To find out more information both of these wonderful services and other Student Services available check out their web sites on the VUW student page.Take care, make a plan for June in May – and after exams have a great mid year break.

Catherine Nelson, Nurse, Te Ratonga Hauora Tauira Student Health Service