VUWSA exec wants to ditch NZUSA – Campaigns Officer

VUWSA exec members are contemplating a move to end VUWSA’s membership to the New Zealand Union of Students’ Associations (NZUSA), arguing that NZUSA doesn’t do enough work for students.

Campaigns Officer Tai Neilson says leaving NZUSA should always be an option.

“If they aren’t doing shit for us then we should cease membership. There are some good aspects of being members such as nationally-run campaigns around election years and shit which helps all students, and it’s a good thing to be part of.

“If we get stuff like interest free loans that we got out of the last election, partially due to their campaigns, then we may be saving students money.”

Neilson says that he and at least two other exec members are looking into creating a document, outlining “why we should give ‘em the boot” – either to leave NZUSA, or to “make them do a little more for us”.

“Basically, it costs students a lot of money and they have to justify what students get for that. We have to weigh up the pros and cons.”

NZUSA Co-President Josh Clark says NZUSA “do everything in our power to serve to the best of our abilities”, and that VUWSA, being located in Wellington, as is NZUSA, is well-placed to utilize what NZUSA has to offer.

Clark says NZUSA “really values its relationship with VUWSA” and is “look[ing] forward to any dialogue on how we can better meet their needs”.

With her take-no-prisoners, kick-ass attitude, former News Editor Laura McQuillan adequately makes up for her lack of stature. Roaming the corridors (and underground tunnels) of the University by day, and hunting vampires and Nazi war criminals by night, McQuillan will stop at nothing to bring you the freshest news.

1. Tai says:

All of the quotes from me in this article are accurate. However, I never said i was working on a document to end our membership with NZUSA, that is a complete fabrication. I think that this article will have a good effect at least making people think about why we are members but Laura has either misunderstood or liberally bent the truth. I guess I can expect a call from NZUSA… would actually be a good change though.

2. Franky Boy says:

If VUWSA thinks it is able to opt out of NZUSA, we as VUWSA members should be allowed to opt out of VUWSA.

3. You obviously don’t know how much money we give to NZUSA on your behalf. It costs us alot more than $120 per year you pay for your membership to VUWSA. hrmmm last time I checked it was around $76,000. In many ways if we did remove our monentary commitment to NZUSA it would mean we would not have to raise the levy again within the next couple of years (if it actually rose with inflation it would be sitting around atleast $150 by now).

Goodnight

4. The cost of NZUSA membership is $80 000 for VUWSA including confrences, roughly $4 per student. I believe pulling out would be the best option.

5. Lou says:

The same arguement could be applied to Tai Neilson himself. What has he done for students lately? Was there a march on Parliament at the beginning of the year as there usually is? No. Have there been any visible signs of campaigns around campus? Well, there was Debt Day, but wait… wasn’t that organised by NZUSA???

6. Peter says:

No, it was organized by Tai. NZUSA were going have a couple beggars down Lambton Quay, which would have got no media coverage. Tai saw that this was a very bad idea, and certain members from the VUWSA exec organized debt day at uni, which did make it on the news… Sorry Lou, it ironic how wrong you are. This is a reason why Tai wants to look at NZUSA and possible withdraw VUWSA membership.

7. Tai says:

Thanks Peter, that is correct. The national “dept day” campaign was heading the way of an entire flop. Certain Exec members including myself managed to steer it in a positive dirrection and managed a story in the dominion post which claimed 400 students protested against rising debt. In the past some protests have only attracted 12 people. I see the importance in restoring confidence in direct action amoungst students so that we can move forward confidently. I believe that my work behind the scenes is benefitting students and I will continue to perform my role as best I can.

8. Rolling time says:

“… and managed a story in the Dompost.”

Yeah, and it was NZUSA co-president Josh Clark who was in the Photo. Hmmmm… all you guys eh?

9. Peter says:

Why don’t you try roll the exec.. that’s right you don’t have more than 5 mates that care, let alone the 100 needed to roll any of them

10. Peter says:

That’s a dare.. you guys go on about rolling the exec… go on then… or are you just full of shit.. just like VSM

11. Rolling time says:

Yeah, we’d have to educate the students on what VUWSA actually is first (you guys don’t seem to have bothered). Anyway, the students are so apethitic that you can continue getting your $60 a week each for getting drunk at your meetings, and you can continue stealing money as has happened at VUWSA every year for a long time.

Why don’t you guys get your shit together, stop the in fighting, and actually start doing your elected responsibilities? This anti-NZUSA stuff is only because they support your president (who you evidently don’t). He was elected by a rather large margin over an incumbent.

12. Peter says:

Geoff (or one of his lame buddies), you should use your real name, instead of using a fake name. This is really lame.. Geoff the Maori does nothing but try be popular. It’s a shame he has got you losers fooled

13. Im Drunk and Ill Fight you.

Die in Hell.

14. Rolling time says:

You losers eh? Is that how the Exec think of the students? I certainly get that impression from patronising idiots like Cosgrove and morons like Bernard. And who are you Peter? Is that your real name? At least i’m not disguising my use of a psuedonym.

BTW, I didn’t even vote for Geoff. I’m just repulsed by the in-fighting and not particuarly impressed by Geoff’s inability to handle it.

15. Peter says:

Sorry Rolly.. I ain’t on the exec.. and Pete is my real name. BTW you repulse me.