July 11, 2007 | by  | in Online Only |

Give me my fucking money back

Let’s just say, hypothetically speaking, that on an overseas junket, Winston Peters got trashed and licked Annette King’s urine off a street. Or let’s say he stole Gordon Brown’s toupee and hid in a closet for a couple of hours giggling furiously to himself. Totally hypothetical, of course, because I’m sure the Rt. Hon. Mr Peters would never do such a thing.

Could you imagine what would happen if the media found out? It wouldn’t be pretty. And I doubt that arguing that he misbehaved on his own time – not the New Zealand taxpayers’ – would do much to save him from joining the dole queue next week.

Which is why Rachel Wright’s excuses for her own behaviour and the behaviour of several other VUWSA exec members at the NZUSA conference several weeks ago is, frankly, a load of crap.

At least 10 VUWSA exec members were flown to Christchurch at the students’ expense and had their accommodation and food paid for – at $85 per night – for at least three nights. There were no charges to get into the conference – well, not if you don’t count the NZUSA levy of $73,000 that VUWSA pays every year.

But, apparently it’s ok for students to fork out that much so the exec can get pissed and act like idiots in a city that isn’t Wellington. So maybe they started urinating on the street and stealing stuff from other students’ associations after the conference closed for the evening – that’s not the point. They were on a student-funded trip, representing students and representing Victoria University in front their peers from around the country. And they made us look silly.

I’m pretty sure I’m not alone in being embarrassed at what went on there. Exec members shouldn’t be making excuses, they should be making apologies. And if they’re angry about the negative publicity, they shouldn’t be blaming Salient they should be blaming themselves. They’re just lucky nobody’s decided to try and roll them yet.

Nicola Kean: feature writer, philanthropist, womanly woman. Nicola is the smallest member of the Salient team, but eats really large pieces of lasagne. Favourites include 80s music, the scent of fresh pine needles and long walks on the beach.

1. Peter says:

Whoa. Why so angry Nick? Maybe its cos your jealous that a certain prez from a second rate uni spent all weekend staring at Rachael’s breasts.

2. Nicola Kean says:

Peter, I think you’ll find that most people at the conference got a good look at Rachel’s breasts – given that she apparently wasn’t wearing all that much on particular occasions.

You can take all the cheap shots you want, but do you really think that what they got up to in Christchurch was acceptable behaviour for student representatives?

3. David Farrar says:

And that is the crux of the issue. Hell as students we have all done dodgy stuff with alcohol. But when attending an official conference as official SA reps, one needs to behave to minimum standards. One can still have a lot of fun without going overboard.

I feel very sorry for Geoff H, It must be trying his patience terribly being associated with the muppets.

4. george says:

oh my god ‘bernie galacy’ what a tosspot. nicola has every right to write about your stupid antics – she, along with the rest of us paid for them. and she works for OUR student magazine which makes it even more important. I am really opposed to VSM which is why dick heads like you make me really annoyed – your behaviour turns more and more students against CSM – which can do great things for students if not misused by you and those other selfish freaks.

5. and I have every Right to say she Is wrong.

Me licking up Piss used up no student money I would like to point out.

It was outside of ‘Vuwsa” time also.

considering I was elected on the platform of stealing stuff from VUWSA I think this is matter least of your worries.

6. Good to see you Nicola, and also Laura holding the executive to account for their actions. Something that hasn’t been done before. Unfortunately, what many CSM supporters miss, is that an end to this behaviour will only come once we turn of their free money tap by making VUWSA voluntary. One lesson the 21% levy increase taught our exec is that they can squander students money as much as they like, and if they ever run out they can threaten all the clubs with a funding cut, and scare people with talk of “services under threat” (including things threatened like car parks, which actually make a profit for VUWSA, and SJS, which only gets a fraction of its funding from VUWSA) to get students at a SGM to vote them more money. If you don’t like it, you have to pay the new levy, because that is how compulsory membership works. Its sometimes claimed we need strong compulsory membership SA’s to keep fees down. Since I’ve been at uni having VUWSA around has made a difference to my fees, they are now $21 higher.
    One last thing for all compulsory membership supporters. If students are you believe (unlike me) that students are trully better off being part of VUWSA, then they will voluntarily join if VUWSA goes voluntary and thus you and VUWSA have nothing to fear from VSM.

7. stacey says:

“Also; apparently your a square fuck who has nothing better to do than write a blog about an event (of which you had no direct involvement) just for the sake of boosting your ego”

Jeez Bernie, that’s pretty low! Spoken like a true ‘commoner’ yourself.. :p

and Steve, as the person who is meant to be moderating this, why is this particularly defamatory comment still on the site when that post by ‘sieve’ the other day was removed?

8. cijawa says:

Technically, the plane trip to Christchurch was “outside VUWSA time” too bernie – maybe you should pay the students back what that cost? Were you “outside VUWSA time” when you were asleep? Well, you’d better pay for your lodgings in Christchurch too. Catch my drift? You were in Christchurch for the NZUSA conference on the student purse – like it or not, there is no “outside VUWSA time” while VUWSA’s paying your way.

Also, the “you should run if you’ve got a problem” arguement really doesn’t fly – students’ pay a students association levy so certain services are provided – which they are. They do not pay for retards like you to live out your fetishes on the streets of Christchurch. Also, I have run, and been on exec before – and I never got shamed on the pages of Salient for my actions while away at conference.

You are our representatives – act like grown ups at least.

(good post Nicila – reminds me of previous year’s Salients…)

9. Question says:

Given that only two people were allowed to speak, why the fuck did we need to send down 10 retards?

And can someone please rolls these fuckers?

10. Because we want to spend all your money Duh.

:D

We have a budget to keep to…. :D

11. Dave says:

A budget to keep to Bernie? That’d be a first – how much did you guys over spend by last year?

12. Hey bro, all joking asside, It wasn’t my job last year.

BomFunk would never have happened under my watch. Or anika moa…but that was carolines… gah …

This years orientation was well within budget infact we almost turned a profit. ( pretty much unheard of considering VUWSA subsidises all student tickets…and also the amount of free events…

13. Jonno says:

Bernie, are you taking the piss mate? I think that is great… the yellow peril .. yum yum

14. Don’t knock It till you try it, also racist comments wont be tollerated on the website right steve?

15. Jonno says:

Students also pay for Salient. Salient is a whole lot of shit, and students are getting ripped off…. Peace!

16. Jon no nothing says:

Come on Jonno, you’re just calling Salient shit cause they show you and your muppet friends up when you act like idiots.

Admittedly, top five and the student interviews page is crap this year.

Peace???? Fuckin retard.

17. Jane says:

Those retards have been brainwashed by watching too much of Studentville! So it was the TV’s fault.

18. Evee says:

And the columns and the editorials and the layout and some of the features and the typos and the magazine in general.

19. nati momo says:

i was doing a websearch for louis-david’s “death of marat” and how i got to this page is still a mystery. makes you people down under seem crazy. the rachel-bernie story is out of control, especially if they’ve graduated from high school, come on.

20. Luke says:

thank god that I have finished at vic and no longer required to give my money to VUWSA for a a group of complete idiots to squander. Go VSM!!!

21. Blumeappomo says:

A man is trying a very unusual way to propose to his girlfriend. He wants people to forward an email to as many people as possible and he hopes that it will eventually get to his girlfriend. Details here: http://www.proposal-to-mary.com

Here is what he wants people to send by email:

You could help me a lot to spread my proposal to Mary – it is important that it is distributed as widely as possible so that it eventually reaches Mary. If you would like to support my proposal to Mary, please send the following text by email to a lot of people :-)

————- SNIP (email text end) —————

WHEN YOU RECEIVE THIS, PLEASE HELP TO DISTRIBUTE IT TO OTHER PEOPLE!

For a long time I have tried to find a special way to propose marriage to my girlfriend Mary, whom I know for five years now. I wanted it very special, romantic and memorable, something our grandchildren would still remember.

And here is my idea: I will send out the proposal to Mary to 50 complete strangers, people I don’t know – hoping, that they will forward my proposal to as many people as possible, which in turn forward it etc. And some day, I hope, it will reach Mary, after it has travelled a very long way. I know, it will take a long time and I am quite nervous…

From the poem MY Mary will know immediately that the proposal is for her.

I have created a homepage ( http://www.proposal-to-mary.com ) where you can find the current status of my quest. You can use the homepage to check if the proposal has already reached Mary (in that case it is not necessary anymore to forward the mail).

Once the proposal has reached Mary, I will put a note on these pages. Also I will publish there how many people have read the proposal so that everybody can see how far it has spread and that it is getting closer to Mary.

And of course you will find there what I am waiting for most: Mary’s answer! I can’t tell you, how nervous I am… Will she accept my proposal? Will she like the unusual way how she got it, through the hands of thousands of messengers all over the world?

Please cross your fingers for me! And please – help me by sending the mail to as many people as possible, to help it spread, so that it eventually reaches Mary.

And here is my proposal:

Mary, please forgive me, as you know English is not my native language. And I am not a poet. But I mean it from my heart.

My angel,

Five years ago, I will always remember the day When fate made us meet, blissful Alaskan moments in May Earth spun around us and a journey began Love, warmth, happiness, enough the years to span.

The longer it lasts the more grows our bond And with 80 still – of you I will be fond Whatever happens, I will stay at your side Through good and bad, together let us stride

No second with you was ever wasted
    You are the sweetest I have ever tasted
    We have spent so many years – why not a life?
    Mary, will you marry me – and become my wife?

Mary, if you have received that and have recognized me, then give me a sign so that I can continue with the romantic part of my proposal…

————- SNIP (email text end) —————

1. Am I my skin?
  2. The Trauma of the Non-Voter
  3. Marshall Islands deliberate whether to ban nuclear weapons
  4. Vanity Fair — W. M. Thackeray
  5. Her Legacy
  6. GIG GUIDE
  7. The Fury of [our] own Momentum: Twin Peaks, Protest, and the Bomb
  10. Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle
brigid

I’m Not Sure How I Feel: Disillusionment With Elections

: - SPONSORED - This post-election sentiment was written prior to the election, due to both the limitations of print and the pervasiveness of this disillusionment beyond the election’s outcome. If there was a revolution over the weekend, some of these thoughts can be disregarded.