July 9, 2007 | by  | in Music |

Grand Prix – Terraplane Twilight

A New Sound That Drives Home

Buckle up as Grand Prix have slammed their foot down again with their new album Terraplane Twilight. These Wellington based alternative country rockers have had a bit of a shake up to the original duo, creating a bolder more mature album. Now a four-piece band seeing Andrew McKenzie (vocals, guitar) and Dave Geard (drums, vocals) standing firm, being joined by Nathan Hickey (bass, vocals) from Fly My Pretties and Paselode, along with Adam Landley (keys, guitar, vocals) from Velvetones and The Bonnie Scarlets’. Grand Prix’s third album has shifted up a gear keeping the car theme on the burn, aptly being recorded in The Car Club.

The ‘60s and ‘70s influence is strong throughout the album. McKenzie’s dynamic voice (which was described by Scott Kara of the NZ Herald as “a cross between Nick Cave and Kiwi country icon, John Hore Grenell”) holds the album tightly together. Tracks such as “Even The Stupid” drive energetically along – picking up speed. Others like “Gasoline” slow down the pace, the same with the mellow edge in “Time Machine”. The contribution of the guests that feature in Terraplane Twilight (including “Grand Prix Boys Choir”) enhance the album with such instruments as the trumpet and glockenspiel, giving the final sound many different levels.

The production is sophisticated resulting in a more locked in, fuller sound than their previous album, The Way Of The Racer. The darkness in “The Devil” leaves an eerie vibe, contrasting greatly with such tracks as Always Beginning being perfect for those sunny afternoon drives. The radio play shall undoubtedly be huge with this album and watch out for their rocking live performance. Whether drinking your pint or taking to the open coastal roads, this album is a great companion for those country loving rock ‘n’ roll folk out there.

1. Storytime: Angst, Agony, and Adorable Babies in Teen Mom YouTube
  9. Issue 10 – Like and Subscribe
  10. An Overdue Lesson in Anatomy