July 16, 2007 | by  | in Film |

Heading South (Vers le sud)

Heading South is a film about middle aged women who head to Haiti in the late 1970s, for fun in the sun and to pay for sex with young black men. The two main characters are Ellen, a Boston French literature professor, and Brenda, a stay-at-home wife from Savannah.

They take pleasure in their carnal escapades, wilfully ignoring the local poverty and increasingly repressive dictatorship of Haitian leader Jean-Claude “Baby Doc” Duvalier, which is what drives these vulnerable young men to them.

Legba, the main Haitian character, is the most sought-after of the male prostitutes. However, he has his own problems, being in love with the mistress of a colonel in the brutal army.

The main weakness, which totally unravels the entire film, is it’s attempt to use the women as metaphors for colonialism, racism and sexual exploitation, which is totally ridiculous. While few countries have suffered from these evils as much as Haiti, it has always been at the hands of powerful imperialists (USA, Canada and France), where these women are pathetic and more like sad heroines from a Tennessee Williams play.

I think it would be possible and important to make a hard-hitting film about the problem of sexual tourism, but this film does not even come close, which is the real tragedy.

LAURENT CANTET

1. Issue 03 – Nō hea koe?
  2. Ka Tangi Te Tītī, Ka Tangi Te Kākā, Ka Tangi Hoki Ahau, Tīhei Maui Ora
  3. I Lift My Eyes
  4. The H-Word
  5. Where are you from?: A Loaded Question
  6. Stay Healthy: Fresher Flu is Back
  7. Māori and Pasifika support services: New phone, who dis?
  8. A Gay Old Time: Wellington Pride Festival 2019
  9. The Party Line: MMP 5% Threshold
  10. Piki Brings Four Counsellors to Victoria, One to Massey
Horse Betting-01

The Messara Report on New Zealand Horse Racing

: My mum’s family loves a “flutter”.   A “flutter” is Kiwi slang for betting. Usually on horse racing, but we’re also partial to the odd greyhound meet or two. In April 2018, the Minister for Racing, Winston Peters, released the Messara report, calling for the clos