July 30, 2007 | by  | in Music |

Live Review: Nina Nastasia and Jim White – Bodega 20th July

Friday’s Nina Nastasia and Jim White show at Bodega was marvellous, showcasing two performers at the height of their craft.

Openers Date With Doom got things off to an interesting start with their intellectual mix of moody minor-key pop. Imagine Jeff Buckley playing with Steely Dan, and you’ll have a fairly accurate representation of their sound. These guys are obviously talented musicians, but could probably do with lightening up a tad and having some fun onstage.

After some technical issues, Nina and Jim burst into their set with ‘Late Night’, one of the louder songs from their latest joint album, You Follow Me. Nina’s flowing guitar melodies and striking voice merged seamlessly with Jim’s powerfully evocative drumming, illustrating the intimately dynamic musical relationship between the two.

From then on they ran through most of the material from You Follow Me, and, following an audience request, threw in a performance of earlier song ‘Superstar’. It was a lovely musical evening, despite the noticeably loud background bar noise. Come back soon, guys.

1. Second test
  2. test test
  3. Recipes from the Suffrage Cookbook
  4. Beneath Skin and Bone
  5. No Common Ground
  6. Chris Dave and the Drumhedz
  7. Good Girls
  8. Winter Warmers: Home Alone
  9. Winter Warmers: About Time
  10. Sex at Dawn