July 30, 2007 | by  | in Music |

Live Review: Nina Nastasia and Jim White – Bodega 20th July

Friday’s Nina Nastasia and Jim White show at Bodega was marvellous, showcasing two performers at the height of their craft.

Openers Date With Doom got things off to an interesting start with their intellectual mix of moody minor-key pop. Imagine Jeff Buckley playing with Steely Dan, and you’ll have a fairly accurate representation of their sound. These guys are obviously talented musicians, but could probably do with lightening up a tad and having some fun onstage.

After some technical issues, Nina and Jim burst into their set with ‘Late Night’, one of the louder songs from their latest joint album, You Follow Me. Nina’s flowing guitar melodies and striking voice merged seamlessly with Jim’s powerfully evocative drumming, illustrating the intimately dynamic musical relationship between the two.

From then on they ran through most of the material from You Follow Me, and, following an audience request, threw in a performance of earlier song ‘Superstar’. It was a lovely musical evening, despite the noticeably loud background bar noise. Come back soon, guys.

1. Pizza Base Recipe
  2. VUWSA to Sell Van
  3. Hunter Lounge Raking in Business as Reality Sets In
  4. Rule and Exception
  6. Volume 81 Issue 03: Stale-ient
  7. Are We Live
  8. 15 Things I’d Rather Do Than “Discuss With the Person Next to Me” in a Lecture
  9. Superorganism Self-Titled
  10. Trump’s America