Meanwhile…Ombudsman complaint causes construction chaos

Work has begun on the site of the new Fairlie Terrace hostel, but the University faces more difficulties after a complaint to the Ombudsman.

The Wellingtonian reported that Aro Valley Community Council (AVCC) member Nikki Burrows approached the Ombudsman in June, and that he has agreed to look into the AVCC’s issues surrounding the development.

“I’ve put in a complaint on behalf of AVCC requiring they review the university’s internal decision-making process … the Ombudsman has asked the Vice-Chancellor for a report,” Burrows said.

The AVCC has for several months voiced its concerns over the eleven-storey, three-block hostel development, after a lack of consultation by the University – which Burrows described as a major concern.

A University spokesperson confirmed they are in discussion with the Ombudsman’s office and expect a response soon.

With her take-no-prisoners, kick-ass attitude, former News Editor Laura McQuillan adequately makes up for her lack of stature. Roaming the corridors (and underground tunnels) of the University by day, and hunting vampires and Nazi war criminals by night, McQuillan will stop at nothing to bring you the freshest news.

1