Mysterious car park inhabitants nowhere to be found

Suspicions have been raised that the cliff side underneath the Wai-te-ata Road carpark is inhabited by squatters, following the discovery of beds and snacks.

Sleeping bags, cardboard mattresses, clothing, couches, empty beer bottles, KFC boxes, and wooden boards for shelter were discovered by a Salient source last week.

Wai-te-ata residents told Salient they have not seen the squatters, nor attempted to make contact. Salient’s attempts to track down the squatters also failed last week.

University Communications Adviser Stephanie Gray confirmed the hillside beneath the car park is university property, but at time of press was unable to comment on whether the University would take any action.

Director of Facilities Management Jenny Bentley says her department will be checking up on it, but that the University has received no complaints.

The Wellington City Council has a number of homelessness strategies in place, including night shelters, housing, a ‘Survival Guide to Wellington’ and contributions to The Wellington Intersectorial Group on homelessness.

1. Wellington
  2. “Bet the next Salient is going to milk this dry”
  3. How to Find Love in Wellington
  4. On Violence
  5. Salient’s New Zealander of the Year
  6. The Jet Plane, the Typewriter and the Art Dealer
  7. We Drank With Grant Robertson So You Wouldn’t Have To
  8. Wellington’s Coffee Scene: Low Budgement Day
  9. The Cocktail Diaries
  10. We’re really sorry that the last week of news is so depressing

In the Shadow of the Kowloon Walled City

: At its peak, the Kowloon Walled City was home to 33,000 people in just two hectares of land—a hastily put together conglomerate of tiny apartments, one of top of the other, caged balconies slapped onto the sides and connected through a labyrinth of damp, dark corridors.