Mysterious car park inhabitants nowhere to be found

Suspicions have been raised that the cliff side underneath the Wai-te-ata Road carpark is inhabited by squatters, following the discovery of beds and snacks.

Sleeping bags, cardboard mattresses, clothing, couches, empty beer bottles, KFC boxes, and wooden boards for shelter were discovered by a Salient source last week.

Wai-te-ata residents told Salient they have not seen the squatters, nor attempted to make contact. Salient’s attempts to track down the squatters also failed last week.

University Communications Adviser Stephanie Gray confirmed the hillside beneath the car park is university property, but at time of press was unable to comment on whether the University would take any action.

Director of Facilities Management Jenny Bentley says her department will be checking up on it, but that the University has received no complaints.

The Wellington City Council has a number of homelessness strategies in place, including night shelters, housing, a ‘Survival Guide to Wellington’ and contributions to The Wellington Intersectorial Group on homelessness.

1. The Big Dog Walk with Lots of Dogs
  2. Interviews
  3. You can’t sit with us—protesters picket the Young Nats’ ball
  4. Your flat will still be a bit shit
  5. Under the influence of neighbours—university opposes liquor license
  6. Step into my tax haven—Panama Papers explained
  7. University outsourcing university
  8. Eye on the Exec
  9. CYF report
  10. The Wellington Binder Exchange

A picture interview with Aoi Yao

: But, these aren’t ordinary interviews, they’re #pictureinterviews. Answering questions with imagery is simply a chance for artists to express themselves using their native language—art.