News In Brief

Asian Languages and Cultures Programmes under review

Victoria University has established a schedule of regular academic programme reviews. The schedule for 2007 includes a review of the Asian Languages and Cultures Programmes which will be reviewed 23-25 July.

Students are encouraged to make submissions to the review panel.

Information regarding the membership of the review panel and the terms of reference can be obtained from Heather McNamara at heather.mcnamara@vuw.ac.nz.

Written submissions, which will remain confidential to the review panel, should be sent to Heather McNamara by no later than 13 July.

Vic students win science awards

Two Victoria PhD students have been recognised at the prestigious MacDiarmid Young Scientist of the Year Awards, held in Auckland recently.

Conrad Lendrum and Simon Rogers were named runners-up in the Understanding Planet Earth and the Future Science and Technologies categories respectively. Both are PhD students in the School of Chemical and Physical Sciences and each received $2500.

Fred Dagg receives honorary doctorate

John Clark, the humorist, writer and actor who brought Fred Dagg to life worldwide, has received an honorary doctorate from Victoria.

The honorary Doctorate of Literature was presented at a special conferment ceremony in Melbourne on June 28.

Clarke was a student at Victoria in the late 1960s, and wrote and performed in a satirical review at the University in 1969. He later portrayed Dagg on stage, film and television.

Clark has appeared in numerous other stage and screen productions, and is the author of more than twenty books.

Vic students awarded huge scholarships

Vic postgraduate students have been awarded four of nine prestigious William Georgetti Scholarships for postgraduate research in philosophy, classics, design and engineering.

The winning Victoria students are:

Elizabeth Bisley, awarded $40,000 over two years to complete her Masters research into design history during the modern period, at the Royal College of Art in London.

Greta Hawes, awarded $38,200 for one year to complete her PhD research in classical mythology, reception and Italian mediaeval literature, at the University of Bristol.

Adrian Jongenelen, awarded $30,000 over three years to complete his PhD project to develop a compact, portable, real-time range imaging system, at Victoria University.

Vanessa Schouten, awarded $16,000 over three years to complete her PhD in moral and political philosophy, at Princeton University.