News In Brief

Vic receives $5.5m science funding

Victoria has been awarded more than $5.5 million in contracts from the Foundation for Research, Science and Technology, as part of NZ$628 million in contracts announced last week.

The four winning projects (incorporating global warming, tectonic science, nano-technology and nuclear magnetic resonance technology) were selected in a rigorous process seeking cutting-edge research that will help New Zealand develop its economy, manage its resources sustainably and respond to climate change.

Sophie Dalziel, portfolio manager in the University’s Research Office, says the funding success shows that Victoria researchers can work with industry, as well as conduct pure research. She says the funding also opens more opportunities to postgraduate students, as funding will be set aside for scholarships.

Geology and Geophysics report released

The Geology and Geophysics programmes at VUW were reviewed in March 2007, as part of the University’s cycle of academic programme reviews. Students interested in the review outcome may now obtain a copy of the panel’s report from the Office of the Assistant Vice-Chancellor (Academic) by contacting ishbel.guilliard@vuw.ac.nz.

Vic begins partnership with Indonesian uni

Victoria has signed a co-operation agreement with Indonesia’s State Islamic University, witnessed by Prime Minister Helen Clark in Jakarta last week.

An academic from the State Islamic University will come to New Zealand on a teaching fellowship next year.

“This is supported by Victoria University and our Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade, through a programme dedicated to building stronger links with the nations and peoples of Asia,” Clark said in a speech at the university.

“I know that this university has a proud history of advancing inter-religious understanding, and that is something we in New Zealand are also keen to promote.”

TEC may fund prostitution courses

Funding for tertiary courses in prostitution could be considered under changes aimed at boosting quality and relevance in the sector, education officials say.

TEC chief executive Janice Shiner said under the new system, a request to provide prostitution courses would be assessed against the same criteria as any other course.

A spokesman for Dr Cullen said the Government was “not aware of any demand from taxpayers, communities, businesses or students for courses offered in this area”.

10. International Queer in Review