News In Briefs

Staff computers no longer fucked

Issues plaguing the University’s staff computer system over the past three weeks have been largely resolved.

IT director Stuart Haselden says the university experienced a “file system issue”, which meant staff computer systems were running slower than usual, with staff unable to mark assignments. Students were not affected by the issue.

Haselden says major work was done on the issue last week, and that work will continue over the next few weeks to fix outstanding problems.

WCC and local bars behind safer student partying

The Wellington City Council Liquor Team has launched a new initiative to promote student safety, with a focus on student bars. The campaign includes four messages, encouraging safe drinking, getting home safely and looking after your mates.

Participating bars are The Establishment, The Big Kumara, Shooters and Syn. Bar staff have been given t-shirts, and the bars provided with coasters and DVDs to reinforce the campaign’s main messages.

VUWSA President Geoff Hayward was present at the launch of the campaign, which he calls “a good idea”.

“Anything that is going to create fun places in the city that also look to reduce the harm to students while out on the town has got to be. It’s about taking host responsibility seriously with an undeniably ‘at risk’ group of people in the city.”

The Council says the four bars involved were pleased with the launch and are keen to keep working with the Council on this initiative.

Former UN Under-SG to give lecture at Vic

Former UN Under-Secretary General and peace award recipient Anwarul K Chowdhury will visit New Zealand from August 9 to 14 to highlight human security issues and promote the culture of peace. Mr Chowdhury recently retired as the UN High Representative for the Least Developed Countries, Landlocked Developing Countries & Small Island Developing States.

Mr Chowdhury’s first public lecture is titled ‘Human Security – an Essential Element for Creating a Culture of Peace’ and will be delivered at 12:30pm Thursday, 9 August, at Lecture Theatre 1, Rutherford House, Pipitea Campus.

With her take-no-prisoners, kick-ass attitude, former News Editor Laura McQuillan adequately makes up for her lack of stature. Roaming the corridors (and underground tunnels) of the University by day, and hunting vampires and Nazi war criminals by night, McQuillan will stop at nothing to bring you the freshest news.

10. Cuts From the Deep: Lucille Bogan