Polar Fleece Day a “hit” – Organisers, Party-goers

Celebrations for the first annual Polar Fleece Day, held at Good Luck Bar on June 28th, were a “hit”, according to polar fleece-clad partygoers.

The holiday, invented by Salient music editor Stacey Knott and news editor Laura McQuillan, originated from a fashion column on polar fleece by Sven and Lance in Salient earlier this year.

Local talents The Bonnie Scarlets, Tommy Ill and DJs from The VBC and Scandalesque entertained a crowd of approximately 200 environmentally-friendly party-goers.

The ideas behind Polar Fleece Day arose from the organisers wanting to help out polar bears in some way. “We made the obvious connection between polar fleece and polar bears – that being the word ‘polar’ – then realised climate change is a huge issue affecting polar bears, with global warming melting their habitats,” says McQuillan.

The day, which also doubled as Knott’s birthday, and that of Salient feature writer Nicola Kean, raised a large but unconfirmed sum for WWF.

“We were actually quite surprised with the turnout. The kids really love polar fleece and polar bears. It was a rad night, made even better by those who put in such a big effort creating polar fleece outfits,” says McQuillan.

Check out this week’s centerfold for the Polar Fleece Day party review.

With her take-no-prisoners, kick-ass attitude, former News Editor Laura McQuillan adequately makes up for her lack of stature. Roaming the corridors (and underground tunnels) of the University by day, and hunting vampires and Nazi war criminals by night, McQuillan will stop at nothing to bring you the freshest news.