July 9, 2007 | by  | in Uncategorized |

Polar Fleece Day Party

Earlier this year, we, Sven and Lance, single-handedly revived the trend of polar fleece and called for its celebration. So when an off-the-hook party was thrown on June 28 at the fabulous Good Luck Bar, we were pleased to see a massively trendy polar fleece-appreciation squad out in full-force to help raise awareness about climate change.

With the $7 Polar Ice Teas flowing, those around us got mighty drunk. But in the name of journalistic professionalism, we stood back and watched the chaos unfold.

As the Scandalesque DJs heated up the dance floor with their shameless electro-clash, the party kids filled in the cosy bar (apparently a fair few of them had overtaken quiz night at the Downtown Local as a pre-party, fitting in well with the polar-fleece clad locals there). Those dreamboats from The Bonnie Scarlets really got the crowd moving and a-shaking before fleece-loving MC Tommy Ill took over the mic.

The outfits on the night mirrored what we’ve been seeing on European catwalks the past few months – we are happy to report most stuck to our initial rule of polar fleece needing to have at least three vibrant and exciting colours and patterns. Some party people went out of their way to construct uber-glam clashing fleece ensembles – complete with polar fleece bum-bags, of course. How retro!

There were also polar fleece shoes, boob-tubes, ear muffs, leg warmers, mittens, bandanas, dresses and hoodies. The effort these kids put in was charming, with head-to-toe outfits and jumpsuits, and the bar was kind enough to offer prizes to those who were best dressed.

Some punters took the polar fleece theme even further, using our favourite fabric to transform themselves into polar bears, The Flintstones, dinosaurs, gangstas and Siamese twins. We even heard Tommy Ill saying he was wearing a polar fleece condom!

Aside from polar fleece’s material qualities, it seems wearing polar fleece also makes the kids better at partying than those choosing other textiles, winning better prizes, dancing more, staying out later, forming longer-lasting friendships and generally just looked like they were having the most fun.

All in all, a highly successful party in our well-filled books. With help from the fantastic Jon and Dusty at VUWSA, Matt and Tim from Good Luck, and sponsors DB Breweries, Maxium, Civic Video and New Scientist, the party organizers proved fashion can change the world. All proceeds from the night were for WWF’s climate change campaign, and judging by the packs of happy looking polar-fleecers stumbling home in the early hours, Polar Fleece Day may become an annual event.

10. Cuts From the Deep: Lucille Bogan