Proud ’07: Dances, parties, karaoke, oh my!

Proud ’07, the annual Pride Week, kicks off on Saturday, with events including dances, a sex-toy party, films and art.

The theme of this year’s pride week is ‘Proud’. UniQ says there are three main ideas behind the theme – that people should be proud of their sexual orientation and gender identity; that sexual diversity is a gift; and that sexual orientation and gender identity are inherent and cannot be intentionally altered.

The week begins with a ‘High School Prom’ – one of the most glamourous events on the queer calendar.

Tuesday night sees Dance Syndrome – a ‘queer and alternative’ dance party at Our Bar from 10pm.

On Tuesday, ‘BYO Parent’ takes place at Our Bar on Cuba Street. UniQ, in association with Rainbow Wellington, has organised a wine and cheese evening for queer parents and parents of queers alike with the aim of providing a fun and supportive atmosphere to discuss any and all issues.

‘Test the Queer Nation’, one of Pride Week’s most popular events, returns on Wednesday night, with heaps of prizes to give away. Queer Idol – Wellington’s campest karaoke competition – is on at iMerst Bar on Thursday. Previous winner Rob Arnold scored a #1 hit in October 2006 as Gay Boy in The Edge-created Boyband.

On Thursday, a collection of Kiwi ‘Short Shorts – A collection of Kiwi Queer short films’ shows at The Film Archive on the corner of Vivian and Taranaki Streets.

Friday night sees the ‘Pink Light Disco’ – an under-25 event at SubNine designed for fun in a safe, alcohol- and drug-free environment. The event is the first of its kind in Wellington and proceeds will go to School’s Out – Wellington’s queer youth support group for teenagers.

‘Proud Art ‘07’ at Aaron Laurence Gallery also opens on Friday. The exhibition celebrates the diversity of Wellington with an equally diverse range of queer artists, featuring drawing, painting, photography and sculpture.

The week closes with The Glamazons’ Pyjama Party on Saturday at iMerst Bar, hosted by Wellington’s drag super-group.

A more detailed description of each event can be found at http://www.frozenflameweb.com/proudevents.html, and a full calendar is on the UniQ website www.uniq.wellington.net.nz.

Proud ‘07’s principal sponsors are Victoria University of Wellington Students’ Association, Massey University Wellington Students’ Association, Imerst, Wellington City Council and Frozen Flame Media.

With her take-no-prisoners, kick-ass attitude, former News Editor Laura McQuillan adequately makes up for her lack of stature. Roaming the corridors (and underground tunnels) of the University by day, and hunting vampires and Nazi war criminals by night, McQuillan will stop at nothing to bring you the freshest news.

1. Cuttin’ it with with Miss June