Proud ’07: Dances, parties, karaoke, oh my!

Proud ’07, the annual Pride Week, kicks off on Saturday, with events including dances, a sex-toy party, films and art.

The theme of this year’s pride week is ‘Proud’. UniQ says there are three main ideas behind the theme – that people should be proud of their sexual orientation and gender identity; that sexual diversity is a gift; and that sexual orientation and gender identity are inherent and cannot be intentionally altered.

The week begins with a ‘High School Prom’ – one of the most glamourous events on the queer calendar.

Tuesday night sees Dance Syndrome – a ‘queer and alternative’ dance party at Our Bar from 10pm.

On Tuesday, ‘BYO Parent’ takes place at Our Bar on Cuba Street. UniQ, in association with Rainbow Wellington, has organised a wine and cheese evening for queer parents and parents of queers alike with the aim of providing a fun and supportive atmosphere to discuss any and all issues.

‘Test the Queer Nation’, one of Pride Week’s most popular events, returns on Wednesday night, with heaps of prizes to give away. Queer Idol – Wellington’s campest karaoke competition – is on at iMerst Bar on Thursday. Previous winner Rob Arnold scored a #1 hit in October 2006 as Gay Boy in The Edge-created Boyband.

On Thursday, a collection of Kiwi ‘Short Shorts – A collection of Kiwi Queer short films’ shows at The Film Archive on the corner of Vivian and Taranaki Streets.

Friday night sees the ‘Pink Light Disco’ – an under-25 event at SubNine designed for fun in a safe, alcohol- and drug-free environment. The event is the first of its kind in Wellington and proceeds will go to School’s Out – Wellington’s queer youth support group for teenagers.

‘Proud Art ‘07’ at Aaron Laurence Gallery also opens on Friday. The exhibition celebrates the diversity of Wellington with an equally diverse range of queer artists, featuring drawing, painting, photography and sculpture.

The week closes with The Glamazons’ Pyjama Party on Saturday at iMerst Bar, hosted by Wellington’s drag super-group.

A more detailed description of each event can be found at http://www.frozenflameweb.com/proudevents.html, and a full calendar is on the UniQ website www.uniq.wellington.net.nz.

Proud ‘07’s principal sponsors are Victoria University of Wellington Students’ Association, Massey University Wellington Students’ Association, Imerst, Wellington City Council and Frozen Flame Media.

With her take-no-prisoners, kick-ass attitude, former News Editor Laura McQuillan adequately makes up for her lack of stature. Roaming the corridors (and underground tunnels) of the University by day, and hunting vampires and Nazi war criminals by night, McQuillan will stop at nothing to bring you the freshest news.

1. Issue 03 – Nō hea koe?
  2. Ka Tangi Te Tītī, Ka Tangi Te Kākā, Ka Tangi Hoki Ahau, Tīhei Maui Ora
  3. I Lift My Eyes
  4. The H-Word
  5. Where are you from?: A Loaded Question
  6. Stay Healthy: Fresher Flu is Back
  7. Māori and Pasifika support services: New phone, who dis?
  8. A Gay Old Time: Wellington Pride Festival 2019
  9. The Party Line: MMP 5% Threshold
  10. Piki Brings Four Counsellors to Victoria, One to Massey
Horse Betting-01

The Messara Report on New Zealand Horse Racing

: My mum’s family loves a “flutter”.   A “flutter” is Kiwi slang for betting. Usually on horse racing, but we’re also partial to the odd greyhound meet or two. In April 2018, the Minister for Racing, Winston Peters, released the Messara report, calling for the clos