Re-Ori leaves students smiling

Re-Orientation 2007 has been deemed a success, with the largest line-up of events to date. The week had two more headline concerts than usual, as well as the usual comedy night, plus free concerts and day-time activities – some attracting sell-out crowds.

From the drum and bass group Concord Dawn, to the ‘biggest local guitar party of the decade’ featuring So So Modern & Cut Off Your Hands, Re-Orientation was “a great event,” according to Campus Activities Co-Ordinator Dusty McLoughlin.

McLoughlin says “all the crowd [left So So Modern] with massive grins on their assorted faces”, despite the bad weather which had threatened the week’s events.

McLoughlin says the less-than-capacity crowd at The Black Seeds was unexpected, “being that it was their last show here for a while.” Despite this, he says those who went “certainly sweated more than they got rained on.”

Despite putting on more ticket-entry shows, there were still a few free gigs around the city. “The two free shows we put on at [Mount Street Bar] were for small, but appreciative crowds,” says McLoughlin, who mentions there was “an actual dancing crowd for ska bands Rubix Cube and Leadpipe Larry & the Dangermen.”

Overall, the week has been described as a success – with many of the various women’s and VUWSA events “well-attended” also. One particular highlight for McLoughlin was the Speight’s Big Red Bus of Horror, which toured the city on Friday the 13th – an event which McLoughlin would like to see more of in the future.

Following Re-Orientation’s success, McLoughlin says VUWSA is hoping to organise more early-evening free shows at Mount Street Bar throughout this semester.

1. Issue 03 – Nō hea koe?
  2. Ka Tangi Te Tītī, Ka Tangi Te Kākā, Ka Tangi Hoki Ahau, Tīhei Maui Ora
  3. I Lift My Eyes
  4. The H-Word
  5. Where are you from?: A Loaded Question
  6. Stay Healthy: Fresher Flu is Back
  7. Māori and Pasifika support services: New phone, who dis?
  8. A Gay Old Time: Wellington Pride Festival 2019
  9. The Party Line: MMP 5% Threshold
  10. Piki Brings Four Counsellors to Victoria, One to Massey
Horse Betting-01

The Messara Report on New Zealand Horse Racing

: My mum’s family loves a “flutter”.   A “flutter” is Kiwi slang for betting. Usually on horse racing, but we’re also partial to the odd greyhound meet or two. In April 2018, the Minister for Racing, Winston Peters, released the Messara report, calling for the clos