Re-Orientation ‘choice’ despite raindrops, puddles

This month’s Re-Orientation, aimed at welcoming in the new semester, has been hitch-less so far – despite poor weather dampening outdoor events.

Campus Activities Co-ordinator Dusty McLoughlin is impressed with the events and turnouts so far, but says “you can’t really compare Re-Orientation with Orientation week, just because winter doesn’t draw the crowds we get in summer.”

To start off the week, students had a go at ‘Smashing the Exec’ in a jousting competition in the Quad. President Geoff Hayward came out on top, winning most of his fights and claiming the Vic jousting title. The same day’s events involved street performers, including the renowned ‘Slim Pickings’ and his sword-swallowing skills.

Wednesday was Clubs Day in the Quad, with over 30 different clubs and organisations on display, recruiting new members. The ZM “Fitness Freaks” party took place at Sub Nine on Wednesday, with lycra and leg warmers the order of the hour as students partied with aerobics and other exercises of sorts, winning prizes for ‘best workout’.

Wednesday night’s Re-Orientation comedy evening hosted the “arsewettingly funny folk” Steve Wrigley, Cori Gonzalez-Maceur, Simon McKinney and Mrs Peacock (2007 Billy T Award winner). Again, the comedy night drew a large crowd to the Union Hall, for an amusing evening of entertainment.

On Thursday, The Black Seeds played to a packed Union Hall, followed by the raging after party at The Establishment.

Mount Street Bar hosted a number of free live music gigs as well during the week, including Rubix Cuba and Battle of the Bands winners Fanuc Man.

1. Ps: So So modern on the weekend was just dandy!

1. Cuttin’ it with with Miss June