Something a bit more robust

Nestled below ground level on Waring-Taylor Street, Rumbles Wine Merchants is a veritable Aladdin’s Cave of fine beverages. The store can always be relied on to stock something just a little bit different, designed to help “move people’s palates” beyond the mainstream.

On a chilly day, Rumbles himself selected three red wines for winter which were accessible, flavoursome and “a little more robust.”

Vina Vilano 2005 ($21, 13.5%) is made with Tempranillo – the great grape of Spain. With a light to medium body, hints of red cherry on the nose and berries and liquorice in the glass, this wine can accompany a wide range of foods. Rumbles describes it having “plenty of flavour, savoury, lightly earthy with a restrained fruitiness. Good value.”

From the renowned Mornag Hills of Tunisia, Chateau Salambo Grand Gru 2003 ($23, 13% alcohol) is a blend of Cabernet, Merlot, Syrah and Carignan. Blending is an art in wine producing nations such as France and Tunisia, and the result here is a “medium bodied, well structured wine with a depth of character.” The wine would partner well with steak.

Powerful, rich but not heavy, Koine Aglianico 2002 ($29, 13.5%) has a splendid noble rusticity. Although nicknamed “Ugly Annie”, this wine seduces rather than assaults the palate. It is an ancient variety mentioned by both Pliny’s in their classical writings. Today, Rumbles describes it as “a dark, brooding, black-red, with a warm and inviting aroma of dark plums, sunbaked black earth and smoky spices. Full bodied with rich flavours and excellent length.” He recommends it is with “robust meaty tucker.” Wild boar would be perfect.

As a special offer, yoau can receive 10 Per cent off these wines by showing your student ID and saying you read about them in Salient.

Rumbles Wine Merchant, 32 Waring
Taylor Street, Tel 472 70 45

1. Turkish Red Lentil Soup
  2. Dragon Friends
  3. NZ Music Month
  4. Dear White People
  5. You’re Allowed to Watch Shit Films
  6. Flint Town: Season 1
  7. Sometimes It’s Too Cold to Go Outside
  8. Some Spicy AF Hot Takes
  10. Love Isn’t Real, Because You Aren’t Hard Enough