Student jailed for two years after stabbing

A Vic student who attacked another student on campus last year has been jailed for two years, with leave to apply for home detention.

The 19-year-old man was convicted of wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm earlier this year.

The defendant and victim had known each other since secondary school, and both men had developed an interest in the same woman.

Three years prior to the attack the victim had begun a relationship with her, and the defendant believed the victim had “wronged” her shortly before the stabbing, the judge said.

The defendant bought a craft knife and, knowing the victim’s lecture schedule, planned a time and place and attacked him on September 4 in the Murphy foyer.

The victim received cuts to his stomach and deep cuts to his arms requiring internal stitches.

The defendant, who has permanent name suppression, suffers depression, anxiety, social inadequacy and obsessive compulsive disorder.

His sentence is deferred for two months to allow time for an application for home detention.

The defendant was also ordered to pay $1000 to the victim for emotional harm, and $2300 in compensation for lost tuition fees.

With her take-no-prisoners, kick-ass attitude, former News Editor Laura McQuillan adequately makes up for her lack of stature. Roaming the corridors (and underground tunnels) of the University by day, and hunting vampires and Nazi war criminals by night, McQuillan will stop at nothing to bring you the freshest news.

1. Cuttin’ it with with Miss June