VBC creates Muesli Empire

For a limited time only!

Breaking into the breakfast foods market is the latest venture for Victoria’s student radio station The VBC, who are producing and selling homemade breakfast muesli.

The merchandise idea came about from a morning discussion between breakfast host Murdoch Stephens and programming co-director Matthew Davis, where it was revealed Stephens had experience in making muesli.

According to a promotional poster, the limited-edition muesli contains “some oats and fruit and nuts and shit”. Davis says the muesli is “natural, healthy and fully biodegradable”, as well as being “safe as long as you chew it occasionally”.

Its uniqueness, according to Davis and Murdoch, lies in the fact it is homemade, and wrapped “in brown paper bags so your derelict friends won’t know you’ve got muesli. They may think it’s just alcohol”.

Aside from promoting good health, Davis says the $4 bag of cereal should be used to accompany The VBC’s listeners as they wake-up with the Murdoch Breakfast Show, 7-10am weekdays.

Purchasing the muesli can also mean going in the draw to win various prizes and competitions run by The VBC.

Davis and Stephens are unwilling to give away any industry secrets or information on their ingredients, however Stephens stresses “all the products come direct from a reputable source” and the muesli itself comes from years of personal experience in the making of muesli. He says the new product has been “animal-tested on the news monkeys”.

While the muesli is a one-off, Davis says vegan cat food and VBC fondue maybe their next venture.

Get your limited edition The VBC breakfast muesli for $4 from The VBC headquarters on the ground floor of the Student Union Building.

10. Cuts From the Deep: Lucille Bogan