Vic’s debaters second at Australasian Champs

Victoria One finished second to University of Queensland Two at the Australasian Intervarsity Debating Championships at Universiti Teknologi Mara, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia last week.

The team, made up of Christopher Bishop, Stephen Whittington, and Sayeqa Islam, lost 6-3, negating the topic “That governments should fund treatments which seek to normalise autism”.

Islam received the Martin Sorenson Cup for Best Speaker of the tournament (out of 324 speakers), as well as the Jock Fanselow Cup for best speaker in the final, and Bishop was ranked as the 8th best speaker of the tournament.

Victoria Two, made up of Polly Higbee, Clodagh O’Connor-McKenna, and Joshua Cameron, finished tenth.

Victoria One’s result is the best of a New Zealand team since 1998, and Vic’s best result since 1998. It is also the first time since 1980s that Vic has ever had two teams make it past the preliminary rounds in the same tournament, and the first time a Vic speaker has won the Best Speaker cup at the Championship.

With her take-no-prisoners, kick-ass attitude, former News Editor Laura McQuillan adequately makes up for her lack of stature. Roaming the corridors (and underground tunnels) of the University by day, and hunting vampires and Nazi war criminals by night, McQuillan will stop at nothing to bring you the freshest news.

1. SWAT: Nostalgia
  2. The Vines of Nostalgia
  3. Drawn In
  4. The Ugly Sneaker
  5. My Romanticised Oasis
  6. Issue 18 – Nostalgia
  7. Eye On the Exec
  8. Ihumātao, its Whakapapa, and why it isn’t Mana Whenua v Outsiders
  9. Telling People with EDs to “Just Eat”: Never worked, never will, and now we have more proof.
  10. Salient Writers Get to Nerd Out at Festival for the Future