Vic big fat loser at Teaching Excellence

Victoria’s academic staff missed out on winning at last month’s Tertiary Teaching Excellence Awards, where 10 educators from around the country received awards for Sustained Excellence of $20,000 each.

Massey University and University of Otago each claimed two awards, and Otago Polytechnic; University of Auckland; University of Waikato; University of Canterbury and Auckland University of Technology received the remainder of the awards.

Selena Chan, Principal Academic Staff Member at Christchurch Polytechnic, received the Prime Minister’s Supreme Tertiary Teaching Excellence Award of $30,000.

Deputy Vice-Chancellor David McKay says this year’s result “is a little disappointing”, but says the University’s successes in previous years shouldn’t be forgotten.

“Our awards in the past have also been pretty well spread around the Schools, suggesting that we do have a widespread culture of good teaching.”

“I hope we will be back in the list of winners next year, because I believe we have some excellent and innovative teachers.”

With her take-no-prisoners, kick-ass attitude, former News Editor Laura McQuillan adequately makes up for her lack of stature. Roaming the corridors (and underground tunnels) of the University by day, and hunting vampires and Nazi war criminals by night, McQuillan will stop at nothing to bring you the freshest news.

10. Cuts From the Deep: Lucille Bogan