Wellington Post Secret and I JUST LOST THE GAME

You are invited to anonymously contribute a secret to a group art project. Your secret can be a regret, fear, betrayal, desire, confession, or childhood humiliation. Reveal anything – as long as it’s true and you have never shared it with anyone before. Be brief. Be legible. Be creative.

Beginning now, I am starting up a Wellington-based Post Secret – an extension of Frank Warren’s infamous Post Secret art project, and would dearly like you to participate.

Frank Warren began his Post Secret project a few years ago and it has since become a popular blog and, more recently, a book. The idea of the project is simple: completely anonymous people decorate a postcard and portray a secret that they have never before revealed. There is no restriction on what the content of the secret must be, only that it must be completely truthful and must never have been spoken before. Entries range from admissions of sexual misconduct and criminal activity to confessions of secret desires, embarrassing habits, hopes and dreams. Frank Warren calls these secrets “graphic haikus” – beautiful, elegant, and small in structure, but powerfully emotional. Post Secret illustrates to us how “the things that make us feel abnormal are actually the things that make us all the same.”

“I steal small things from my friends to keep memories of how much I love them”, “I am a dot com millionaire but I told my family I missed the bubble”, “I hate people who remind me of myself”, and “I’m with the first person I’ve ever been able to trust, and it’s the first person I’ve cheated on,” are examples of some of the secrets sent in.

For more information, please check out Frank’s blog, http://postsecret.blogspot.com

“Sometimes just the act of sharing a painful secret can relieve some of the pain.”
Maryland

The Wellington based Post Secret will follow the same rules, and in about a month’s time all the anonymous postcards will be put on display at one or two venues within Wellington for viewing, before finally being forwarded on to Frank Warren’s mailbox.

To kick it off, I felt compelled to share some secrets of my own, even though here I will not be able to hide behind anonymity. Oh well, here goes – When I need to drop one off I often take a snack with me – I love the weird sensation of something going in one end at the same time as something coming out the other. A decade or two on and I still cannot bring myself to step on cracks in the sidewalk. And, I have a weird fascination with rats; I think they are incredible critters.

To contribute, send your postcard to the following address:
Post Secret,
c/o counter,
Manners Street Postshop,
43 Manners St,
Wellington 6011.

Along a separate line of thought, I also bring you ‘I JUST LOST THE GAME’ and simply by reading this, you have become a player.

I JUST LOST THE GAME is a potentially complex game with very simple rules. The object of the game is not to think about the game. When you think about the game, you lose the game.

If you lose the game, you must say, “I just lost the game.” Each time you lose the game, the game begins anew. Once a person asks what the game is, you must explain the game. Upon knowing the game, they are bound to the game.

As annoyingly fun as it is to play, I JUST LOST THE GAME extends past merely following these simple rules. The complex part involves examining the effects that playing the game has on you, others, and more importantly, the game itself.

Goals of ‘I JUST LOST THE GAME’
To spread the idea of ‘The Game’
To study the pattern in which the idea is spread
To study the change and spin-offs of ‘The Game’
To create an identifiable image that people can learn to hate or love over time.

I JUST LOST THE GAME is an idea influenced by Shepard Fairey’s worldwide sticker campaign, Obey. I JUST LOST THE GAME shares with Obey a study into the way that people perceive and store information on a societal and cultural level. However, unlike Obey, which has no actual meaning other than raising questions, I JUST LOST THE GAME has a relation to an actual subject, ‘The Game’.