‘NT Inc’ deadline passes

Vic’s Maori students’ association Ngai Tauira has failed to meet its obligations under a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) signed with VUWSA last year.

The MOU recognised a number of points, including that Ngai Tauira would become an incorporated society by the end of July this year. The deadline has passed, and VUWSA President Geoff Hayward says has “no idea” how close Ngai Tauira is to meeting this obligation.

NT Tumuaki Maryjane Waru says it’s been a “busy year” at Ngai Tauira, with many changing priorities, and although becoming an incorporated society is still high on her priority list, other issues “keep creeping up”.

NT began the year with only two executive members, and only held elections late last semester. The new executive is yet to meet, and therefore is yet to discuss their MOU obligations, Waru says. NT has also been struggling to gain a consensus from its constituents on the direction they will take with becoming incorporated.

Hayward says “Ngai Tauira would still remain independent” upon becoming an incorporated society. “The change has more to do with governance, and fiscal reporting” – which has been an issue in the past. Their legal obligations will enable them to remain as a “separate legal entity”, enabling “leadership for themselves, by themselves,” Hayward says.

Another of the obligations agreed to under the MOU last year was for the VUWSA President and NT’s Tumuaki to meet fortnightly in order to achieve their collective goals. This level of consultation between the groups has been limited however, with Hayward saying he would find out a “possible response by the end of their next meeting” as to how far away NT is from fulfilling their other obligations.

Waru says she is ready to make the incorporation NT’s number one priority, “now the other issues have been dealt with.”

1