August 15, 2007 | by  | in Online Only |

Another exec member gone..

VUWSA’s Welfare Vice-President Heleyni Pratley sent a resignation email to VUWSA staff, exec members and Salient staff yesterday, to be effective as of this Friday.

In the email she cited health reasons and her school workload – she’s an Honours student, so working well-over her paid 20 hours a week has been difficult, no doubt – for her resignation. She says she will assist Education Officer (Welfare) Paul Danger Brown and the incoming VP with picking up where she left off.

Her resignation was accepted by the President, but at this evening’s exec meeting it was deferred to come into effect on Sunday, August 26.

Heleyni was co-opted to the exec last year as Activities Officer and was later elected to the position in a July by-election, and has since had a colourful history as an exec member. She came under fire after a drunken scribbling incident in the VUWSA Kelburn office earlier this year where she doodled on the walls and on an artwork, and also for her relationship with Education VP Joel Cosgrove, which some have claimed is a conflict of interest affecting how the exec works.

Despite this, in her exec history, and particularly as Welfare VP, she has amply served students and been incredibly involved in new and existing welfare activities, including free soup, the ‘welfare van’ (a trolley which contains bread which she gives out each week), looking after and advocating for students – she even got me a new Community Services Card when Work and Income were being dicks and refused to give me one.

It has been suggested that Paul Brown may be co-opted into the VP position, and that Heleyni may be co-opted to fill his empty Education Officer position – basically swapsies.

We shall cover Heleyni’s resignation in further detail when Salient returns to a magazine stand near you in two weeks.

Now, I could have posted this yesterday, except the internet at my house was broken, and then when it was finally fixed I got so caught up in Bebo I forgot to blog (you know how it is).

Soon I will think of a better blog topic than anything VUWSA-related. Until that day comes, I’d like to start a competition to name my new office computer (the ten-year-old Macs are slowly dying). I haven’t got a prize yet, because I’d like to see how many people participate first. You could maybe win a book voucher or something.

Hope your break is really swell.

With her take-no-prisoners, kick-ass attitude, former News Editor Laura McQuillan adequately makes up for her lack of stature. Roaming the corridors (and underground tunnels) of the University by day, and hunting vampires and Nazi war criminals by night, McQuillan will stop at nothing to bring you the freshest news.

1. SOON I WILL WIN SURVIVOR VUWSA!

can you and Paul Brown stop checking out my package in exec meetings.

Its Inappropriate.

Lurve Bernie.

2. Tristan says:

Computer name:
    Buboe: That which kills the paedophiles who stalk bebo.
    Why? Because I like to think that Laura spends her spare time using electronic means to hunt down paedophiles, and because she uses Bebo which is where they all hang out anyway.

3. Nick Archer says:

Heleyni worked so HARD!

I have no doubt that some may come out of the wood work trying to suggest other wise (for instance bringing up the ‘Love’ art, and other insinuations and her personal relationships), Welfare Vice President is the HARDEST position on the exec, I can attest to this as when I was on Exec in 2000 the then Welfare Vice President worked just as hard and echoed similar sentiments (in her weekly report to the Exec) that Helenyi has, that is because it is bloody hard! (talk to any of the other Welfare VPs since the singular VP position was split into Welfare and Education VP positions and they will tell you also how hard it is) The job involves a lot of hours and behind the scenes work such as running the Welfare Food Bank and miraciously every Welfare VP still manages to do other VUWSA things like Campus Angels, events, etc…

That Heleyni managed to do all this well and still bring forward new initiatives such as the Welfare Van and Free Soup on Wednesday’s is testament to the deidication and hours she put into the role. Add also her initiative in formulating Box City and bringing it to the EAG(for a high profile campaign highlighting the high accomodation costs for students) and the hard work it took to make that event a success then it is clear that Heleyni will be a great loss for the association.

Asides from the political arguments surrounding VUWSA (VSM, the elections that happen every year) it is good that VUWSA has had a Welfare VP in 07 who gave it her all. She will be missed from upstairs here at Salient…

Computer Name: Mini L, because I love Austin Powers, and it’s L’s computer!

4. Phillip says:

Another one of the few exec members I have respect for, gone.

5. Tristan says:

oh yar, the bread was teh awesomeness… churr. I think for most students that has been the most obvious (if not only) way in which they can actually see VUWSA doing something for them. I guess that’s kinda important.

Free pot would be nice too. Can we get free pot? They did that at Auckland once, they cooked it up in a big cooker and everyone stood around and breathed it in. See how much support VSM would have then (as in None)… psych! Ok this is why people like Heleyni are good for uni and I am not. Bread is good.

6. Nick Archer says:

Free Pot that sounds interesting…

New computer name – Little Pol Pot…

7. “I’d like to start a competition to name my new office computer (the ten-year-old Macs are slowly dying). ”

HAL.

Or, Theophilus Q. Wittgenstein.

8. Rongomaiwahine Higgins says:

I would like to commend Heleyni on the work that she has done. She looked out for students needs and help re start groups such as Can Do. Here motive to keep pushing and supporting has been well worth it. So Heleyni, where ever the path of life takes you, Can do and I wish you well!!

9. can do member says:

Rongomaiwahine,

Not all CanDo members stand beside you so strongly in supporting Heleyni. I think that as President you should be more careful before stating a view that is not truly representative of all your members.

While I acknowledge Heleyni has helped us, everyone seems to be overlooking that even her good deeds are undermined by her inappropriate behaviour on a few occassions.

10. Nick Archer says:

What exactly were ‘her inappropriate behaviour on a few occasions.’? I think the ‘Love’ thing has been done to death…

11. poopoo2u says:

Heleyni was rad.

1