Debsoc ‘unbeatable’ at domestic competitions

Victoria has beaten Auckland University to retain the McLeod Trophy for North Island university novice debating.

The trophy was won on July 30 by Victoria’s team of first-year Law students, Richard D’Ath, Emily Bruce, and Kathy Scott-Dowell. D’Ath was named best speaker of the tournament and was named in the tournament team along with Scott-Dowell. Victoria sent a squad of 5 teams, all of which finished in the top half of the draw.

Victoria is now looking to complete a clean sweep of the three major domestic tournaments in late August, when Wellington hosts the 105-year-old Joynt Scroll tournament, the most prestigious in New Zealand.

Victoria also won the Debating tournament at the Uni Games in April this year for the ninth consecutive time.

With her take-no-prisoners, kick-ass attitude, former News Editor Laura McQuillan adequately makes up for her lack of stature. Roaming the corridors (and underground tunnels) of the University by day, and hunting vampires and Nazi war criminals by night, McQuillan will stop at nothing to bring you the freshest news.

1. Raw Collective, Jinz Moss, and Makeshift Movements
  2. Podcast: Interview with Get Your Hands Off My Dogcast
  4. Euthanasia Case Before the Courts
  5. We Can’t Take It for Granted: Academic Freedom in Hungary
  6. Free West Papua
  7. Pressured Lecturers, Cheating Students
  8. National Sexual Health Helpline Underway
  9. Tinder Surprise
  10. Populist Reaction Unlikely

Coffee Thoughts

: - SPONSORED - According to the NZ History website, “Wellington’s café culture is today an integral part of its identity as a city.” It’s true, everyone in this city seems to love coffee and we have an ample amount of cafes to keep the love brewing. I have been aware of t