Debsoc ‘unbeatable’ at domestic competitions

Victoria has beaten Auckland University to retain the McLeod Trophy for North Island university novice debating.

The trophy was won on July 30 by Victoria’s team of first-year Law students, Richard D’Ath, Emily Bruce, and Kathy Scott-Dowell. D’Ath was named best speaker of the tournament and was named in the tournament team along with Scott-Dowell. Victoria sent a squad of 5 teams, all of which finished in the top half of the draw.

Victoria is now looking to complete a clean sweep of the three major domestic tournaments in late August, when Wellington hosts the 105-year-old Joynt Scroll tournament, the most prestigious in New Zealand.

Victoria also won the Debating tournament at the Uni Games in April this year for the ninth consecutive time.

With her take-no-prisoners, kick-ass attitude, former News Editor Laura McQuillan adequately makes up for her lack of stature. Roaming the corridors (and underground tunnels) of the University by day, and hunting vampires and Nazi war criminals by night, McQuillan will stop at nothing to bring you the freshest news.

1. A Tribe Called Queer
  2. Medical Anomalies: Trans and Intersex vs. Medicine
  3. chris††† — social justice whatever
  5. We Need New Words
  6. Things to see places to be
  7. Shock Over Proposed Job Cuts at University of Otago
  9. GENDER: THE DEATH AND REBIRTH
lets-seeeee

Let’s See How Far We’ve Come

: - SPONSORED - As Dani and I thought about what we’d like to see in this queer edition of Salient, we reflected on the state of UniQ as it stands right now, both at Victoria University and throughout the country. As we come to the end of our time as co-presidents for 2017 we con