Debsoc ‘unbeatable’ at domestic competitions

Victoria has beaten Auckland University to retain the McLeod Trophy for North Island university novice debating.

The trophy was won on July 30 by Victoria’s team of first-year Law students, Richard D’Ath, Emily Bruce, and Kathy Scott-Dowell. D’Ath was named best speaker of the tournament and was named in the tournament team along with Scott-Dowell. Victoria sent a squad of 5 teams, all of which finished in the top half of the draw.

Victoria is now looking to complete a clean sweep of the three major domestic tournaments in late August, when Wellington hosts the 105-year-old Joynt Scroll tournament, the most prestigious in New Zealand.

Victoria also won the Debating tournament at the Uni Games in April this year for the ninth consecutive time.

With her take-no-prisoners, kick-ass attitude, former News Editor Laura McQuillan adequately makes up for her lack of stature. Roaming the corridors (and underground tunnels) of the University by day, and hunting vampires and Nazi war criminals by night, McQuillan will stop at nothing to bring you the freshest news.

1. The Big Dog Walk with Lots of Dogs
  2. Interviews
  3. You can’t sit with us—protesters picket the Young Nats’ ball
  4. Your flat will still be a bit shit
  5. Under the influence of neighbours—university opposes liquor license
  6. Step into my tax haven—Panama Papers explained
  7. University outsourcing university
  8. Eye on the Exec
  9. CYF report
  10. The Wellington Binder Exchange

A picture interview with Aoi Yao

: But, these aren’t ordinary interviews, they’re #pictureinterviews. Answering questions with imagery is simply a chance for artists to express themselves using their native language—art.