Debsoc ‘unbeatable’ at domestic competitions

Victoria has beaten Auckland University to retain the McLeod Trophy for North Island university novice debating.

The trophy was won on July 30 by Victoria’s team of first-year Law students, Richard D’Ath, Emily Bruce, and Kathy Scott-Dowell. D’Ath was named best speaker of the tournament and was named in the tournament team along with Scott-Dowell. Victoria sent a squad of 5 teams, all of which finished in the top half of the draw.

Victoria is now looking to complete a clean sweep of the three major domestic tournaments in late August, when Wellington hosts the 105-year-old Joynt Scroll tournament, the most prestigious in New Zealand.

Victoria also won the Debating tournament at the Uni Games in April this year for the ninth consecutive time.

With her take-no-prisoners, kick-ass attitude, former News Editor Laura McQuillan adequately makes up for her lack of stature. Roaming the corridors (and underground tunnels) of the University by day, and hunting vampires and Nazi war criminals by night, McQuillan will stop at nothing to bring you the freshest news.

1. Turns out there wasn’t a bomb LOL
  2. IDF soldiers speak on campus
  3. Why I voted for fee rises
  4. Fuck the Establishment
  5. Facebook upset over fee rises
  6. Hack Like Nobody’s Watching
  7. The Ian Curtis Memorial Wall, Wallace Street: An Investigation
  8. Why I Hate Baby Boomers
  9. Foibles of a Foxton Forger
  10. Coppers Become Croppers

In the Shadow of the Kowloon Walled City

: At its peak, the Kowloon Walled City was home to 33,000 people in just two hectares of land—a hastily put together conglomerate of tiny apartments, one of top of the other, caged balconies slapped onto the sides and connected through a labyrinth of damp, dark corridors.