Drinks Column – Those Mighty Mighty Cocktails

The drinks list at Mighty Mighty is printed on the inside of old ‘80s vinyl record album covers and promises thirsty punters a “medley of fine concoctions”. This clever menu format is hugely popular – so popular that there are not many left in the bar (stealing is wrong kids).

One of the main reasons people head up the stairs here is the quirky cocktail list which eschews many of the more hackneyed mixed drink offerings. Sally, twice voted bar person of the year in Wellington, says probably the best advice for people who don’t know much about cocktails is to talk to the bartender about flavours they like in other drinks and see what they recommend.

Their most popular cocktail is the very sweet MC Hammered ($10 – white rum, simple syrup, pineapple, mint, fresh lime). In a close second is the Mojito ($15 – rum, mint, soda water, cane sugar, fresh lime) whose popularity is barely dented by not appearing on the menu at all.

According to Sally, Mojitos are hugely fashionable in Wellington these days but have not quite reached the level of cool which Cosmopolitans enjoyed when Sex and the City was on.

I’m intrigued by the Tawa Tickler ($10 – Red wine, Grand Marnier, coca-cola) until I find out it was not named after the current editor of the Salient. Sally, who confesses a personal fondness for margaritas, says it is hard to make a cocktail recommendation for everyone’s tastes but settles on suggesting the Mighty Mai Tai as it is one of their finest concoctions ($16 – rum, Curacao, orgeat syrup, lime).

As well as being a funky bar, Mighty Mighty is also a popular live music venue and runs a market on the first Saturday of every month (4pm-7pm) selling vintage clothing, jewellery and art.

Personally, I’m all about the retro pinball there.

Mighty Mighty, Level 1, 104 Cuba Street, 385 2890, www.myspace.com/mightymighty

1. Issue 03 – Nō hea koe?
  2. Ka Tangi Te Tītī, Ka Tangi Te Kākā, Ka Tangi Hoki Ahau, Tīhei Maui Ora
  3. I Lift My Eyes
  4. The H-Word
  5. Where are you from?: A Loaded Question
  6. Stay Healthy: Fresher Flu is Back
  7. Māori and Pasifika support services: New phone, who dis?
  8. A Gay Old Time: Wellington Pride Festival 2019
  9. The Party Line: MMP 5% Threshold
  10. Piki Brings Four Counsellors to Victoria, One to Massey
Horse Betting-01

The Messara Report on New Zealand Horse Racing

: My mum’s family loves a “flutter”.   A “flutter” is Kiwi slang for betting. Usually on horse racing, but we’re also partial to the odd greyhound meet or two. In April 2018, the Minister for Racing, Winston Peters, released the Messara report, calling for the clos