Kean to take on climate change in NY

A Victoria student is set to head to New York next month for a United Nations conference on climate change.

Nicola Kean, a Political Science honours student and Salient feature writer, has been selected for the UN Student Journalism Programme, which gives her the opportunity to attend and cover the 60th Annual Department of Public Information/Non-Governmental Organisation Conference from September 5-7.

Kean is the only person from New Zealand to be selected.

More than 2000 representatives of NGOs from over 80 countries are expected to attend roundtables, panels and workshops during the 3-day event. The conference will review the scientific evidence on climate change, including its consequences on indigenous peoples, water security, land use and the politics of energy.

Kean believes climate change is a huge issue, and says “it was the Stern report that hammered home how much impact its going to have. And not in my great-grandchildren’s time, but in 50 to 100 years. It made for scary reading.”

The Stern Review is a report released last year by economist Nicholas Stern for the British government, discussing the effects of climate change on the world economy, and is one of the most widely-discussed reports on the subject.

Kean last week approached the VUWSA executive for a grant, but was told the grant’s pool has been used up. Her application has since been referred to the Cultural Clubs Council and Team Vic. Kean says fundraising the $4000 for the trip has “been difficult so far, but there are still other avenues to explore and people I’m waiting to hear back from. So I’m hopeful.”

VUWSA Environmental Officer Tushara Kodikara says the Kean’s opportunity is “great, for New Zealand student journalism, for herself and for Victoria University, it’s great for someone to attend a UN conference…I’m in full support of her going to this conference and reporting back what’s happening.”

With her take-no-prisoners, kick-ass attitude, former News Editor Laura McQuillan adequately makes up for her lack of stature. Roaming the corridors (and underground tunnels) of the University by day, and hunting vampires and Nazi war criminals by night, McQuillan will stop at nothing to bring you the freshest news.

1. Tushara Kodiara says:

Go Nicola!

1. Issue 03 – Nō hea koe?
  2. Ka Tangi Te Tītī, Ka Tangi Te Kākā, Ka Tangi Hoki Ahau, Tīhei Maui Ora
  3. I Lift My Eyes
  4. The H-Word
  5. Where are you from?: A Loaded Question
  6. Stay Healthy: Fresher Flu is Back
  7. Māori and Pasifika support services: New phone, who dis?
  8. A Gay Old Time: Wellington Pride Festival 2019
  9. The Party Line: MMP 5% Threshold
  10. Piki Brings Four Counsellors to Victoria, One to Massey
Horse Betting-01

The Messara Report on New Zealand Horse Racing

: My mum’s family loves a “flutter”.   A “flutter” is Kiwi slang for betting. Usually on horse racing, but we’re also partial to the odd greyhound meet or two. In April 2018, the Minister for Racing, Winston Peters, released the Messara report, calling for the clos