Kelly to run for mayor

Former VUWSA President Nick Kelly last week announced his intention to run for mayor of Wellington.

Kelly was President of VUWSA last year, and ran for re-election in the 2006 general election – defeated by President Geoff Hayward by 159 votes.

Kelly blamed the manipulation of the Labour government, both nationally and in student politics for his defeat in his second-to-last Salient President’s Column.

“Just as Labour have done nationally, in this year’s VUWSA elections Vic Labour ran a dirty campaign full of personal attacks, spin, and manipulated issues from the 2006 VUWSA exec to their advantage,” wrote Kelly, who referred to Vic Labour, ACT and National as “capitalist forces”.

Kelly, now a bus driver, says he is running for mayor to “put forward an alternative platform to that of our capitalist leaders.” Kelly says the Workers’ Party has a campaign to get 500 party members, so it can stand in the 2008 general election.

Issues Kelly wants to highlight are those particularly affecting students and workers, including the cost of living and transport, as well as making “Wellington a city that is run by the people for the people, not for business profit.”

He says “this is a serious campaign, and we are serious about contesting this election. But win or lose, our goal is to help build the socialist left and fight to end the capitalist system.”

Kelly ran for mayor of Upper Hutt in 2004, defeated by Wayne Guppy who won 95% of the 11,000 votes cast.

With her take-no-prisoners, kick-ass attitude, former News Editor Laura McQuillan adequately makes up for her lack of stature. Roaming the corridors (and underground tunnels) of the University by day, and hunting vampires and Nazi war criminals by night, McQuillan will stop at nothing to bring you the freshest news.

1. Ricky says:

This is probably the funniest thing I’ll read all week, and it’s only 9:10am on Monday.

2. Phillip says:

HAHAHA.

3. Ricky says:

This is also a candidate for “Funniest Sentence of the Year”:

“Kelly, now a bus driver, says he is running for mayor to ‘put forward an alternative platform to that of our capitalist leaders.'”

4. Henry Jane Windsor says:

As funny as it may seem, I challenge anyone to find a better candidate for mayor than Kelly. He is certainly better than the current incumbent.

5. Ricky says:

That redhead guy who drives the Cable Car.

6. peteremcc says:

How about you Henry?

7. Henry Jane Windsor says:

Hmmm…. tempting, but unfortunately the nominations have closed for this election. Maybe the Mayor of Wellington in 2011 will be Queen Henry the Great (or something)!

8. maggot says:

re: “As funny as it may seem, I challenge anyone to find a better candidate for mayor than Kelly. He is certainly better than the current incumbent”.

Nah all that ‘anti-capitalist’ crap is what makes it hilarious. Why call it a serious campaign then come out with outdated rhetoric about fighting capitalism. Jeez, there has to be some serious leftists out there. I don’t mean Greens or Labour types, I mean *SERIOUS*. Someone who can reject the current without having to ape old slogans that mean nothing to the majority the left are surely trying to convince.

9. AJR says:

You’re not making any sense “maggot”. Nick Kelly is a socialist. He supports a socialist system, in which ordinary workers hold power, rather than rich parasites. As a result, he’s obviously opposed to the present capitalist system, making “all that ‘anti-capitalist’ crap” totally relevant.

What’s so outdated about struggling against capitalism? You think that because the “communist” USSR is gone, there’s no alternative to capitalism? How ridiculous.

Tell that to the masses of Latin America, who are overwhelmingly rising up against the US imperialists and their own homegrown capitalists, and electing revolutionary governments (Hugo Chavez in Venezuala, Evo Morales in Bolivia, that guy in Ecuador, etc).

Tell it to any poor worker or peasant in the Third World, who can see the shining skyscrapers of the foreign corporations looming over his hovel in the slums.

Nick Kelly IS a serious leftist. For years he has consistently done his best to fight for the interests of New Zealand workers and students, and oppressed people around the globe. He’s got my vote.

10. Kate says:

HAHAHAHA. I knew that guy was Kelly…I knew it. I was my god is that bus driver nick kelly and what do you know it is. Why is Nick Kelly a bus driver? Not to hassle bus drivers…driving a bus is an honest days work…but why would someone go to uni, spend thousands of dollars then graduate to bushood? Is there some agenda here I’m not aware of? I think Kelly has some interesting ideas but…a little raving red for my liking but interesting all the same. I would like to see him have some pragmatic ideas rather than spout the same old sociology 101 workers party bollocks. I think he should get real…who on earth is gonna vote for someone who tired to sell their hair on trade me. sick.

11. Nick may enjoy being a bus driver. Its a Job, It pays the bills, its providing a service and not really hurting anyone. To be honest if you disregard the differing pay rates I’d much rather be a bus driver than some glorified office clerk with an expensive piece of paper. Its far less mundane.

If you find someone selling their hair on trade me sick you really do live a sheltered life and probably deserve to flow along with societies expectations of you. If your not prepared to do something different and resign to having a boring modest job and a cattle class degree like everyone else, thats fine. Vote for the candidate with the most cash to run an election campaign and lap up everything thats spooned to you. On the other hand if your prepared at least think about what each candidate is standing for you will very out very fast that Nick is probably the only obvious candidate standing without the agenda of raising the capital value of his housing investments. Thats the main reason why he should be mayor. The fact that he may be a communist is irrelevant. I’d far prefer someone who has a agenda which promotes socialist ideals instead of an agenda which focuses around private property ownership for a select few.

12. Michael says:

Oh, Nicholas Kelly. You never belonged.

13. Mammal says:

My theory is that Nick Kelly wants to be a union representative, but wants to move his way up from the bottom for ‘legitimacy’. Hence he can’t just stroll in to a union position, but needs to work his way up from a ‘true’ proletariat job.

14. S says:

I saw Nick Kelly standing crying on the street with Hell Pizza on it – the one near Real Groovy. It was tragic.

15. Michael says:

Yep, two weeks later and it’s still funny.

1