August 13, 2007 | by  | in Music |

Live Review: Amnesty Shut Down Repression

Reflecting Amnesty International’s UK Director Kate Allen’s belief, that the internet is “the greatest outlet for free expression since the printing press… We must not allow it to be suppressed,” Amnesty@Vic decided to throw a concert to protest against internet repression.

The gig was held at Sub Nine, and featured Sons of Midas, Fighting the Shakes, Tommy Ill, The Actualities and The Bonnie Scarlets.

I arrived slightly late, part way through three-piece Wellington based band the Sons of Midas’ jangley surf-rock set, but was there in time to see all of the second act: Fighting the Shakes’ upbeat, Mint Chicks-ey, punky set featuring an amazing cover of Joy Division’s ‘Transmission’, which got the sparse crowd moshing away. Bassist Hadley seemed slightly insincere about Amnesty, with his comments at the end of the set, but this was made up for ten times over by the charismatic Albert Williams, front man of the Actualities, who was fighting for his own cause with t-shirt and bandanna both proclaiming “Free Tibet.” The Actualities played some of their new material, venturing into drum and bass in one song and always delivering a rich, melodic sound.

By this stage my wet stockings, head ache and blocked nose got the better of me so I bailed before I got a chance to see the Bonnie Scarlets and Tommy Ill.

The Amnesty group did a great job, but it was disappointing to see such a small turn out. However, there were several other gigs on, and punters had to brave the rain.

R18 Gig, Sun Nine

1. Hadley Donaldson says:

that was a bit poor I do admit, I’d sorta forgotten the whole point of the gig during our set and only remembered at the end, and fumbled.

1